I have been considering getting a new CCW revolver. I had a 66-8 2.75" bbl earlier this year. It shot okay, trigger was extremely heavy and the overall gun seemed too heavy for what it was when compared to my G19.

So I sold it. I absolutely LOVE my M63 3" so I thought I would get something that was similar and I ran across a S&W 60 Pro. It has a beautifully smooth and lightweight trigger, feels like 1/2 that of the previous 66-8 that I had, so I bought it. I love to dryfire the gun and it shoots surprisingly well for me considering.

Unfortunately either due to shape of my hand/age/bad technique/impending arthritis/something, it HURTS my hand to shoot. I have tried the factory wood, the factory rubber, Pachmayr Compac, and Hogue rubber monogrip in that order. All of them result in some hand pain (factory wood the most, Compac the least) I have not found a way to shoot this gun without hand pain whilst shooting just vanilla UMC 130gr FMJ. So it has gone up on the sale/trade block. Which I hate to do since such a nice trigger on a J frame seems a rarity, but I don't keep guns I don't like to shoot.

I did not have any pain with the 66-8 and although the trigger was terrible, I didn't mind shooting it, nor do I mind shooting my old 686-4 Powerport. So it must be the weight of the gun that is part of the problem.

So that is leading me to the decision in the title. I know the 686 is slighter bigger in all dimensions and slightly heavier but it does carry an extra round.

Unfortunately the likelihood of me actually finding both to handle is close to nil to compare and there is absolutely no way I will be able to pick out one with a decent trigger. I will likely have to buy it sight unseen, just like I did with the first 66-8.

What says the group?

Alternatively, there is a store local to me that does have the 66-8 in the 4.25" bbl configuration that I could actually inspect and dryfire before purchase. How much harder would it be to conceal the 4.25" bbl model over the two in the title? I have never tried to carry a 4" bbl revolver concealed but I do regularly carry a G19 concealed with no difficulty.

Thanks!