Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saiga 7.62X39 worth converting or too much trouble?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Saiga 7.62X39 worth converting or too much trouble?

Had an unfired Saiga sitting around for a couple years I had been planning to convert. But I took it out last week and shot it, it was pretty slick. Points nicely, accurate, I couldn't really miss with it. I was surprised how well it shot in it's sporter configuration. Now I'm thinking about leaving it that way. Have you guys owned one or converted one? Was it worth it? I heard drilling and tapping the trunion for the "bullet guide" to accept AK mags can be troublesome. I have a Tapco conversion kit, not the most high quality parts I know, but it is what was available on the market at the time. Whaddya guys think?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What do you want from it? If you're happy with the current configuration, I would leave it as-is. If you want to do it for investment purposes, have a good AK smith do the conversion (hole welding, front-end, etc). If you just want to tinker and don't care if it's half-done or you have a few learning screw-ups, go for it. Drilling and tapping a front trunnion isn't the hardest part of the conversion, by far. Buy a broken tap remover to keep on hand just in case. The most difficult parts for a kitchen table gunsmith is the welding of the receiver holes and the front-end conversion. Be aware that you won't be adding any value if you do the conversion with Crapco parts, or just do a rear-end conversion.

Feedback Score
    Rear end conversion is pretty easy if you can find someone to tac weld a new trigger guard on.
    For the front, you could replace the gas block with a venom and cut and thread the barrel, then put a FF rail on.

Do convert over to standard ak configuration is a lot more work. My experience is with a 308, so not sure about the 7.62 stuff. Decent aks are a lot more expensive now though. Maybe someone like DA, RD, M13, or someone could price exactly what youre after. The rear is the most important part IMO.

Feedback Score
    A properly converted Russian Saiga is as close to a Russian military AK as you can get, if you have a good gunsmith do the conversion.

If you don't feel like paying to have a smith convert it properly, I wouldn't bother. Just enjoy it as it is.

I'd look at sending it to Chris Butler, or some other AK smith, and have it made into an AK-103 with folding polymer stock. Those are really nice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Rear end conversion is pretty easy if you can find someone to tac weld a new trigger guard on.
    That's the low budget way. The correct way would be to simply rivet a new complete trigger guard in place.

For the front, you could replace the gas block with a venom and cut and thread the barrel, then put a FF rail on.
    If you do this, do it with the understanding that you're spending money and the rifle will be worth no more than if you hadn't done anything.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Aries144 View Post
    A properly converted Russian Saiga is as close to a Russian military AK as you can get, if you have a good gunsmith do the conversion.
    If you don't feel like paying to have a smith convert it properly, I wouldn't bother. Just enjoy it as it is.
    +1, Don't waste your money unless you're going to do it right

Feedback Score
    I have one in 5.56 I've got 80 to 90% converted. I bought all the trigger relocation parts from Carolina Shooters Supply. I used the bolt on trigger guard. I can switch to a proper riveted one at any time. Only Tapco parts are the G2 Trigger. The kit came with plastic plugs for the holes. Until you look too close they look like extra rivets. I have the option to properly get them welded one day if I choose for full resale value but for my purposes this is fine. The bullet guide wasn't any problem IIRC. The hardest part so far was drilling out the rivets to remove the trigger guard. I have a proper AK100 series FSB with the muzzle device threads on it I just haven't swapped it yet. Legion USA used to sell them but looks like they don't have any right now. If you can find the proper FSB I think it would be the better way to go.Since the chances of mounting a grenade launcher are slim to none and it shoots good I've decided to leave the gas block alone. I'll just us the AK style gas tube with the vent holes in the tube. They sell a bolt on piece for the front hand guard since the gas block has to be removed to install the factory piece. I guess mine is 1/4 assed but I haven't done anything that would prevent having it properly converted at any time yet. To me it'd be worth it but I wanted an AK in 5.56 when I stumbled upon it. Used a Magpul Zhukov stock. Magpul grip and a CAA lower hand guard with a stock black top hand guard.

Feedback Score
    Kevslatvin, Please don't take what I said to mean that what you did isn't right. I was strictly talking from a financial standpoint as far as getting the money invested back out of it if you go to sell it. If you've made the configuration you want then great. I still have a 5.56x45 Saiga that's partially though my conversion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    That's the low budget way. The correct way would be to simply rivet a new complete trigger guard in place.

If you do this, do it with the understanding that you're spending money and the rifle will be worth no more than if you hadn't done anything.

+1, Don't waste your money unless you're going to do it right[/QUOTE]

Agree. My suggestions were For DIY budget work for a shooter.
    If you want it done right, send it out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Kevslatvin, Please don't take what I said to mean that what you did isn't right. I was strictly talking from a financial standpoint as far as getting the money invested back out of it if you go to sell it. If you've made the configuration you want then great. I still have a 5.56x45 Saiga that's partially though my conversion.
    No problem. I think I was just trying to say the parts are out there for a DIY'er to build a shooter with quality parts and not be a waste of money as you're not doing anything that would permanently damage the rifle and prevent finishing the conversion. That is if your not comfortable doing the front end conversion you take it/send it to someone who can. Like on mine I'd just need a riveted trigger guard and the holes welded. I guess I should change the gas block while I have the FSB off, I just hate to touch it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Guys, I have a pop rivet gun how hard can it be? Kidding, but in all seriousness I agree with what you all have said here. I'm going to leave it as is for the time being and possibly send it to an AK guy to do it right sometime down the road. The Tapco parts are gonna stay in the box for now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast