Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Hills 5.56 62 Gr. Dual Performance

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Black Hills 5.56 62 Gr. Dual Performance

Announced back in January during SHOT it flew under the radar but now Im starting to see this stuff in stock at various dealers so I was curious if people had any experience with the round yet.

"Our Dual Performance™ line features a monolithic machined copper projectile that immediately begins expansion upon impact forming a temporary cavity exceeding the capability of conventional bullets. Once the large primary cavity is created, the petals release from the body of the projectile to cut separate wound tracks through the stressed tissue. The body of the bullet, still retaining a substantial percentage of its original weight but now free from the unnecessary drag, penetrates deeply to ensure maximum effect on the target."
    Looks to be a Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos design which I did not care for when I first heard about it 5 years ago, machined brass + lightweight 45gr gimmick bullets, no thanks. However Ill take notice if Black Hills is involved and they made the switch to all copper. Gel shots look M855A1 like without the steel penetrator or Mk318 like with the solid copper shank going deep. May be worth taking a look if it can offer better accuracy over Mk318 or actually having a consistent supply over A1.

https://www.lehighdefense.com/224-hi...ad-free-bullet
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 06-01-20 at 01:01.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Looks like the Barnes 62 gr OT, TAC X bullet, which makes more sense than BHs loading Lehigh.

https://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/tac-x/

Duh- it says Lehigh on ballistic gel image, apologies Vicious.
    The bullets look very similar.
    Last edited by gaijin; 06-01-20 at 08:10.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Looks like the Barnes 62 gr OT, TAC X bullet, which makes more sense than BHs loading Lehigh.

https://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/tac-x/

Duh- it says Lehigh on ballistic gel image, apologies Vicious.
    The bullets look very similar.
    No problemo, all copper bullets tend to have similar design features. Though Im not sure which came first, if Black Hills requested a 62 gr. all copper to be made or if Lehigh already developed a Cu CC independently.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Virtually all the monolithic copper HPs have impressive temporary/permanent stretch and penetration.
    I’ve used the BHs 70 gr GMX, 5.56 pressure on Whitetail with excellent results.
    Five rd. groups were 1.5” or less from a “precision” AR.
    The only downside for me was cost.
    Last edited by gaijin; 06-01-20 at 17:43. Reason: Spel chek
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    I’m going to have to buy some to try out.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Shot about an 8# raccoon near my chicken coop with one. 16.1" barrel, 15m to target. Impact was with the animal quartering, facing me on its haunches. Entrance under the left front limb, exit under the right, as best I could tell. It was dark and I just have a flashlight. Anyway, it died where hit and the round blew a softball sized hole in the pelt and the entire anterior of the chest cavity was broken ribs and soup.

Pretty lame evaluation, but there it is.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I would like to see some accuracy testing on this. Interested to see how it compares to Fusions and Mk318s accuracy-wise.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I would like to see some accuracy testing on this. Interested to see how it compares to Fusions and Mk318s accuracy-wise.
    Informally, it's better than mk318. I'd say out of a good gun, @1moa.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    That is more than good enough for a defense type round.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Informally, it's better than mk318. I'd say out of a good gun, @1moa.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Shot about an 8# raccoon near my chicken coop with one. 16.1" barrel, 15m to target. Impact was with the animal quartering, facing me on its haunches. Entrance under the left front limb, exit under the right, as best I could tell. It was dark and I just have a flashlight. Anyway, it died where hit and the round blew a softball sized hole in the pelt and the entire anterior of the chest cavity was broken ribs and soup.

Pretty lame evaluation, but there it is.
    Did it look like petals separated in an animal that small?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast