Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EOTech Parasitic Power Drain?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

EOTech Parasitic Power Drain?

As part of my annual maintenance routine I pulled out one of my EOTech equipped AR’s this morning to find the optic was dead.

Further investigation revealed the batteries in both EOTech equipped rifles were dead.

I’ve not shot either in a while so there must be some parasitic drain on the battery when not in use.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I simply late to discover something already well known?

In any case, it is something folks should be mindful of as I didn’t expect this to happen.

ETA: Using the Red SureFire batteries in both.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 06-01-20 at 08:49.

Feedback Score
    How old are the batteries?

Feedback Score
    How old is the EOTech?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Very common with Eotech. Has been for years.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    EOTech's are both XPS and the batteries are less than a year old.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    EOTech's are both XPS and the batteries are less than a year old.
    Wow. I'll have to check mine.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Just checked mine. Its an older NV model I got used 5 years ago. Lives on my .22 that I don’t use often enough. Its had the same lithium AAs in it for 1-2yrs. Still works. I seem to have pretty good luck with stuff like this lately.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I only have one, a new build 518 I got on sale. I have heard about the issue so I keep the AA batteries in the pistol grip since it's on a spare budget AR15 that isn't required to be 'always ready'.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you live in a really humid area like i do it can affect your batteries prior to being used in your sights, and I’ve had batteries corrod inside a supposedly sealed compartment.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Eotech uses a laser not an LED like Aimpoint and other optics.

Because this laser requires a warm up time (kind of like an old tube TV).

Eotech has the board powered up all of the time so that when the user pushes the buttons to turn the optic on, the start up is instant. If the board was to not consume power when the unit was off, there would be a delay when the power button was pushed before the dot would appear.

So basically, any Eotech will draw from the battery even when the power is off.

So your options are this:
    Change the batteries very regularly
    Remove the batteries when not in use
    Buy an Aimpoint
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast