Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Take An Extra Upper Or Complete Rifle To Class

Feedback Score

Take An Extra Upper Or Complete Rifle To Class

I'm getting ready for my first civilian rifle/pistol class in August. If something goes down, I don't want to mess around fixing it, I'll just grab my spare. I'm taking two Glock 19's, but I can't decide whether to throw an extra upper in my rifle case or throw an extra AR in the truck. My primary is a almost new registered 6933 with well used BCM 11.5 in upper (favorite rifle). Is there enough chance of a major problem with the lower to justify taking another complete rifle, or just throw a spare upper in my case?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    for any class (pistol, rifle, shotgun) i always bring a complete backup
    As the great warrior poet Ice-Cube once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by STAMarine View Post
    I can't decide whether to throw an extra upper in my rifle case or throw an extra AR in the truck.
    I strongly recommend taking an extra AR, not just an upper.

Also, consider the fact that you might loan it to someone else whose rifle goes down.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Complete backup.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Complete backup rifle. Upper is nice in theory, and certainly better than nothing, but if your lower goes TU you are going to have to sit out.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Extra rifle. I had an issue with my primary at a class with Kyle Defoor two weeks ago. I grabbed my backup and continued the class with no further problems.

Feedback Score
    If I had the room for three rifles and three pistols, I'd take three.

Murphy's Law dictates that weird shit happens when you least expect it. Guns in your safe do you no good when you are at a class that you paid good money for and 2 guns go down in one in a million long shot events. I've had it happen to me, hence the reason I suggest bringing three if you can.

Feedback Score
    Damn, that truly is some bad luck! Ok, extra complete rifle it is. Thank you all for the responses.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    for any class (pistol, rifle, shotgun) i always bring a complete backup
    Because if something breaks, it'll probably be in the LOWER (crappy BCG's notwithstanding).
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Because if something breaks, it'll probably be in the LOWER (crappy BCG's notwithstanding).
    I didn't know that. I would have figured it would have been the opposite. Of course, the BCG was what was on my mind as well. I've even had the gas tube and gas key peen against each other enough on a quality brand upper to cause a complete stoppage before I figured out what was going on. Wait, that involves the BCG as well, doesn't it?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast