Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Take An Extra Upper Or Complete Rifle To Class

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Take An Extra Upper Or Complete Rifle To Class

I'm getting ready for my first civilian rifle/pistol class in August. If something goes down, I don't want to mess around fixing it, I'll just grab my spare. I'm taking two Glock 19's, but I can't decide whether to throw an extra upper in my rifle case or throw an extra AR in the truck. My primary is a almost new registered 6933 with well used BCM 11.5 in upper (favorite rifle). Is there enough chance of a major problem with the lower to justify taking another complete rifle, or just throw a spare upper in my case?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    for any class (pistol, rifle, shotgun) i always bring a complete backup
    As the great warrior poet Ice-Cube once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    for any class (pistol, rifle, shotgun) i always bring a complete backup
    Because if something breaks, it'll probably be in the LOWER (crappy BCG's notwithstanding).
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Because if something breaks, it'll probably be in the LOWER (crappy BCG's notwithstanding).
    I didn't know that. I would have figured it would have been the opposite. Of course, the BCG was what was on my mind as well. I've even had the gas tube and gas key peen against each other enough on a quality brand upper to cause a complete stoppage before I figured out what was going on. Wait, that involves the BCG as well, doesn't it?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, always bring a back up for at least the primary weapon you'll be using in the class. I had a whoopsie moment when building my first AR many years ago, and it wouldn't fire the harder primers on the M193 ammo I had for the class. (it had fired commercial stuff beforehand just fine) Thankfully I had my SCAR as a backup and completed the class with it.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    Given that you are going to be moving in a vehicle, weight is not a consideration and length/displacement probably isn't either, I'd take a complete rifle. As long as it's a rifle you have used and it's been proven reliable with the mag/ammo you will be using. If weight and space are an issue, then i'd do the upper and small selection of parts for the lower. Back when my money was tighter, I had no problem going to a carbine class with a spare complete bolt, cam pin, firing pin and firing pin retaining pin, plus oil. Having a complete rifle ready to go and zeroed in will get you back on the training line the fastest.

In my limited experience of 15yrs AD and going to carbine courses (including EAG), most of the issues I've observed have been upper issues. Specifically sheared bolt lugs, broken bolts (USGI, multiple deployments and train up), a lose gas key (on a frankengun at a class), missing gas rings and Optic malfunctions. It must be noted that 90+% of the shooting I observed both in uniform and out was Semi Auto, full auto is a different game. I had to really think IOT remember a lower receiver malfunction. The only lower issues I've actually witnessed was a group of SIG rifles that had defective magazine catches (4-5 rifles that had been purchased at the same time from the same lot). I have seen guys lose lower parts when they dissembled their trigger groups in the field and one basic trainee that lost his take down pin detent while "cleaning his rifle". I can't recall ever seeing a lower receiver damaged to the point it couldn't be used, even with ones that had been in IED strikes. Your mileage will of course vary, I'm told that parachute jumps tend break rifles in the strangest ways. Also full auto fire will strain different parts of the gun. We had to deadline some 249s at one point because their receiver welds where breaking.

Feedback Score
    I had a scope go down during a Precision Rifle class almost 20 years ago and had to use a loaner rifle. I bring a 2nd rifle to every class I attend ever since. I have literally never needed it since, but it's there.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I take at least two guns to classes I attend doesn't matter if its a pistol, shotgun or rifle course. I bring parts too but that would be for working on down time in the class, I'll just grab another gun and keep going if something goes down during the class.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by STAMarine View Post
    I can't decide whether to throw an extra upper in my rifle case or throw an extra AR in the truck.
    I strongly recommend taking an extra AR, not just an upper.

Also, consider the fact that you might loan it to someone else whose rifle goes down.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Complete backup.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast