Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Take An Extra Upper Or Complete Rifle To Class

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    When I travel to a class, I take two backup rifles. I did loan one out to another student in a class. Same for pistol courses. I’ve never taken a shotgun course, but I’d do the same we’re I to go. I’ve seen so many shotguns go down just hunting and shooting clays that I wouldn’t trust having just one for a training class.

On reloads: there is a difference between reloads and handloads. There are people good at it and people not so good at it, just as any discipline. Good handloads are better than the best factory ammo, but bad handloads are worse than most al factory ammunition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolute truth. I always take a spare gun and have lent them out and even went to them myself a time or two. If you travel and invest the money etc...in a class, it's really mandatory I think. There's a lot on the line--time, expense etc... to get sidelined by a gun that goes down.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    That's funny to me. The guy that blew the crap out of his BCM at my last course.....was shooting his own reloads.

We were doing a three shot drill. I actually was watching him as I was right behind him in the second relay of shooters. First round went BOOM, then I saw him do "immediate action"- he had the squib and it failed to eject the case fully, next round, full power, KABOOM! Blew mag out of the bottom of the gun, split the upper, bolt was mangled, even toasted his Eotech.....Somehow, he walked away without a scratch....
    That's crazy. There's definitely a segment of shooters who reload for volume/savings instead of quality. Not the case with me.

I get why some instructors frown on reloads in class for the previous Kaboom example/reason.
    Last edited by markm; 08-12-20 at 17:26.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's crazy. There's definitely a segment of shooters who reload for volume/savings instead of quality. Not the case with me.

I get why some instructors frown on reloads in class for the previous Kaboom example/reason.
    Young guy, just spent a ton of money to go to a class, ammo hard to find, expensive, doesnt want to shoot up his small stash of factory.....I get it but his reloading skills had issues. When policing up brass I found more than one round near his position with sideways primers etc....that he had ejected onto the ground....He got lucky it was just the gun...
    Last edited by Esq.; 08-12-20 at 17:37.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Expensive lesson. Sucks he blew up a good gun too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    2 is 1
    1 is none.

Bring 2 guns

Feedback Score
    Squib may not be the correct term. First primer was pushed out, second blew out. Cases swelled and stuck in the chamber. Bullets were still in the case. The ammo was purchased about a month and a half ago. Id say CS is hurting as they push out volume.

Feedback Score
    I had a scope go down during a Precision Rifle class almost 20 years ago and had to use a loaner rifle. I bring a 2nd rifle to every class I attend ever since. I have literally never needed it since, but it's there.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I take at least two guns to classes I attend doesn't matter if its a pistol, shotgun or rifle course. I bring parts too but that would be for working on down time in the class, I'll just grab another gun and keep going if something goes down during the class.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Lube lube lube....

We see a bunch of guns in class that are dry as a bone and people wonder why they are having problems.

Feedback Score
    got a lot of faith in your gun, doncha? All I've ever done is use 12 squirts of WD 40 into the gun before shooting and I"ve never once had a problem with an AR. I've owned half a dozen of them, half of them Colts.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast