Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tokarev TT-33 (and variants)

Feedback Score

The Tokarev TT-33 (and variants)

Been looking at picking up one of the Serbian M70AA versions of this pistol as a curiosity. By today's standards the TT-33 family is heavy and ungainly, and REALLY old-fashioned looking, but in military service over the decades it was apparently solid and reliable.

For anyone with experience, is the 9mm version worth picking up over the 7.62x25mm gun? Seems that 9mm ammo would be easier and cheaper to come by.

https://zastavaarmsusa.com/product/pistol-m70aa-h709bl/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I remember when they first came in and they were horrible pistols, suitable for just about nothing but execution shots to prisoners. Sorry to be so graphic.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    I remember when they first came in and they were horrible pistols, suitable for just about nothing but execution shots to prisoners. Sorry to be so graphic.
    Really? I kinda dig them. Obviously you can't compare to a modern polymer handgun but the ones I've shot, in 7.62, were always well made and accurate

Feedback Score
    I remember when they first came in, but don't understand why anyone would draw that conclusion.

It's obviously a dated design. The 9mm offerings are just looking for a low price point. Personally, I wouldn't buy a 9mm because there are better 9mm offerings at the same price. I do have several different Tokarev variants chambered in the original 7.62x25Tok. They're fun to shoot. Ammo isn't cheap like it once was though. If I was just going to have one, I'd recommend the Serbian version with the frame mounted safety (like a 1911) or the trigger safety (like a Glock). Avoid the ones that have the weird safety high behind the left grip. They were added later and wouldn't be really functional in a stressful situation.

Feedback Score
    More of a curiosity/ collector gun like you said.

There are better guns for SD. You are paying $225-$250 for a 65-year old used pistol.

I'm sure they'll be worth $400 eventually. Makarov's are about $350 now.

The best functional, ugly pistol with poor ergonomics for $300 is a used Glock. They are much fatter than a Tok, though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    You are paying $225-$250 for a 65-year old used pistol.
    Some of Zastava Tokarevs are actually new production. I think all of the ones with the 1911 style frame mounted safeties are, but I could be wrong about that. Regardless, it's the same old design. I wouldn't carry one, but they're fun to shoot.

Feedback Score
    I bought a surplus Zastava M57 a couple of years back for $199. The Yugo version of the Tokarev It shoots well and decently accurate. The 7.62x25 is a great round. Ammo is still pretty easy to find today with the ammo buying craze.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Cool pistols across the board.....
    Always wanted a Glock 17 in 7.62x25

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
    Cool pistols across the board.....
    Always wanted a Glock 17 in 7.62x25
    It’s the parent case of the 9mm Parabellum. Just have a Smith ream a barrel for you.

Feedback Score
    It’s the parent case of the 9mm Parabellum. Just have a Smith ream a barrel for you.

You might want to think about that one a little more..

9mm Para is 9x19..

Don't you think that a 7.62 x 25 might be a tad long for a G17 frame/magazine?

A large frame glock may be an avenue to consider, since the 10mm cartridge shows a SAAMI case length of 25.2 mm.

Something to consider.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast