Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any good Glock pistolsmiths in Central Texas?

Feedback Score

Any good Glock pistolsmiths in Central Texas?

I have a Gen 4 G19 that has never had a range session without jamming, multiple times. It's always a FTF. I've polished the heck out of the feed ramp and changed mags, from Glock OEM to Magpul. The majority of the ammo has been bulk 115 gr. Blazer FMJ with occasional 124 gr. Speer GD +P HP.

I recently switched to a 15 lb recoil spring because it appeared the slide was short stroking with 115 gr. and not stripping the next round off. The slide would stop on the return part of the cycle on top of the round instead of feeding it into the chamber. I could drop the mag and the last round is seated undisturbed in the mag., put the mag back in the gun, rack the slide and continue shooting.

The lighter spring caused the slide stop to engage prematurely, something it didn't do with the heavier stock spring and not because of my grip inadvertently engaging the slide stop lever. I'm also not limp wristing it either. I grew up shooting and competing with 1911's and I don't limp wrist.

I live outside of Austin and would like to deal with a 'smith FTF rather than send the gun. I sent it to Ten Ring in San Antonio and the guy's a tantrum throwing idiot and I'm not putting up with that nonsense from a grown man, especially one who upcharged me from his original quote.

TIA
    Last edited by friendo; 06-21-20 at 19:01.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Just send it back to Glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    I was just talking with my Son-In-Law who lives in San-Antonio and I asked him,he said take it to GT which is in Austin. At least give them a call,sounds like your right next door ! He said the Smith that works there use to work a Dury's in SA but is there now. Worth at least a call and see if they will take a look at it.
    https://www.gtdist.com/?trk_msg=6BPB...mated+Campaign

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by friendo View Post
    I have a Gen 4 G19 that has never had a range session without jamming, multiple times. It's always a FTF.
    Failure to feed or failure to fire? Presumably the former.

I've polished the heck out of the feed ramp
    Hard to tell what spec your gun meets now.

The majority of the ammo has been bulk 117 gr. FMJ
    What's that? Have you tried a domestically produced medium to high quality SAAMI spec load from a major manufacturer? Which?

with occasional 124 gr. Speer GD +P HP.
    What was the malfunction rate with that ammo?

I recently switched to a 15 lb recoil spring
    No reason for that.

Option 1- Return the gun to stock spec and try shooting with high quality ammunition.
    Option 2- Return the gun to Glock.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    I was just talking with my Son-In-Law who lives in San-Antonio and I asked him,he said take it to GT which is in Austin. At least give them a call,sounds like your right next door ! He said the Smith that works there use to work a Dury's in SA but is there now. Worth at least a call and see if they will take a look at it.
    https://www.gtdist.com/?trk_msg=6BPB...mated+Campaign
    Hey, thanks! A buddy was talking about GT this morning as his 'go to' place. I've been in there years ago but try and avoid the N. Austin / Braker Ln. area if possible.

I'm going to take it back to the range with the stock spring back in and try a couple new Glock mags I ordered. If it isn't doesn't perform with 100% reliability I'll give GT a shout.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Failure to feed or failure to fire? Presumably the former.

Fail to feed

Hard to tell what spec your gun meets now.

I just polished the feed ramp and chamber with Flitz like I do my 1911s. No metal is removed.

What's that? Have you tried a domestically produced medium to high quality SAAMI spec load from a major manufacturer? Which?

115 gr CCI Blazer bulk and 124 gr Speer Gold Dot

What was the malfunction rate with that ammo?

1 jam every 15 rd. mag. average

No reason for that.

Option 1- Return the gun to stock spec and try shooting with high quality ammunition.

Speer Gold Dot is high quality ammo. CCI Blazer is popular range ammo.

Option 2- Return the gun to Glock.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by friendo; 06-21-20 at 19:00.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a Gen 4 G19 that has never had a range session without jamming, multiple times. It's always a FTF. I've polished the heck out of the feed ramp and changed mags, from Glock OEM to Magpul. The majority of the ammo has been bulk 115 gr. Blazer FMJ with occasional 124 gr. Speer GD +P HP.

I recently switched to a 15 lb recoil spring because it appeared the slide was short stroking with 115 gr. and not stripping the next round off. The slide would stop on the return part of the cycle on top of the round instead of feeding it into the chamber. I could drop the mag and the last round is seated undisturbed in the mag., put the mag back in the gun, rack the slide and continue shooting.

The lighter spring caused the slide stop to engage prematurely, something it didn't do with the heavier stock spring and not because of my grip inadvertently engaging the slide stop lever. I'm also not limp wristing it either. I grew up shooting and competing with 1911's and I don't limp wrist.

I live outside of Austin and would like to deal with a 'smith FTF rather than send the gun. I sent it to Ten Ring in San Antonio and the guy's a tantrum throwing idiot and I'm not putting up with that nonsense from a grown man, especially one who upcharged me from his original quote.

TIA
    Return everything to stock..what is your ejector # and does it have any issues in extraction? How many round out of the gun and what year is it?

The reason I ask is the Gen4s had some teething problems years ago.

Some of your answers may be found on Glocktalk..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    Return everything to stock..what is your ejector # and does it have any issues in extraction? How many round out of the gun and what year is it?

The reason I ask is the Gen4s had some teething problems years ago.

Some of your answers may be found on Glocktalk..
    I would return everything to stock but my gun choked the first time I shot it stock and that was with Glock mags. Granted, it was with CCI Blazer 115 gr. bulk ammo but thats good enough range ammo and a Glock shouldn't be that picky. The dang thing has always jammed, 100% stock and with Lone Wolf connector.

Not sure when it was produced but a buddy also said Gen 4's were snake bit and I should sell it and get a Gen 3, ranting when you have a proven design why do you f&^#ing go and change it!? He's right about that.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would return everything to stock but my gun choked the first time I shot it stock and that was with Glock mags. Granted, it was with CCI Blazer 115 gr. bulk ammo but thats good enough range ammo and a Glock shouldn't be that picky. The dang thing has always jammed, 100% stock and with Lone Wolf connector.

Not sure when it was produced but a buddy also said Gen 4's were snake bit and I should sell it and get a Gen 3, ranting when you have a proven design why do you f&^#ing go and change it!? He's right about that.
    I would return it to stock, leave the slide locked back for a few days or do, then shoot it with 124 grain ammo. See if the issues are ejection pattern or crappy extraction. My now sold G17 had brass to face and was fixed with a new ejector and older style extractor that I got from Glock when I was a certified armorer.

If all else fails send to Glock, but I am curious of the wear on the extractor though.....
    Last edited by pag23; 06-23-20 at 05:41.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have the most skilled and experienced shooter available to you test fire the gun through deliberate exercises in its current condition with your choice of ammunition. Compare, record, and report results.

Return it to stock, 100% OEM components as shipped. Clean and lube per the manual. Shoot some better ammo through it with OEM mags. A mag at a time in full and half second cadences works for function checking. Also one round over an empty mag, then two over an empty mag, then three, etc all the way to a full mag. If you experience a stoppage, photograph it. Have the same shooter above repeat. Compare, record, and report results.

-or-

Box it up and return it.

Your gun should indeed run with the CCI, but that load can vary quite a bit. If you want to baseline and test fire with a more economical load, find some AE.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast