Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Reason to buy 38 special?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The j frame is much more enjoyable to shoot with a real pair of grips. I changed out the 3 finger boot grips for a pair of pachmyer compacts and they allow a full hand filling grip. I have never pocket carried and just use a neoprene belt/holster combo as the j frame is my summer carry gun for walks with the family or quick errands. I can shoot hot or heavy loads with ease. I did have to relieve the cylinder side of the grips so the empties would fall out easier.

Find a local IDPA match and shoot your snubby for some on the clock evaluation. I took mine with a mix of speed loaders and strips. Wore a t-shirt and workout shorts. Yes my reloads were slow but that just shows where I need to practice at home. Had shots on at 35 yards. Now to fix the low left poi for those fixed sights and don't use tight group in your reloads. That little cylinder got so hot it was hard to reload.

I am actually looking for the new taurus 865 defender that is coming out. 3" barrel, 6 shot, aluminum frame, tritium front sight. I know there are some taurus haters out there but would make a nice lightweight carry revolver. I have a smith 64 and it is a bit heavy in stainless.
    Last edited by joedirt199; 09-26-20 at 08:11.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
    The j frame is much more enjoyable to shoot with a real pair of grips. I changed out the 3 finger boot grips for a pair of pachmyer compacts and they allow a full hand filling grip.
    This one? https://edsgunshop.com/product/pachm...tt-black-3252/

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Those are the ones. No pocket carry for me. Have enough stuff in my pockets already.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Most who own/carry .357 snubs end up carrying .38 Spl +P due to reasons stated. With that in mind, I'd say the advantages of a .38 revolver over a .357 are:

lighter weight— the extra material or heavier material (steel vs aluminum) needed to reinforce a .357 Mag revolver are noticeable and can change the way the gun carries, especially in the type of clothing one typically opts for a j-frame (or LCR, etc.)

cost— you CAN have an ultralight .357, but you're going to pay 2-3 times more than you would for an aluminum .38 Spl. If you're just going to carry .38 anyway, why pay extra?

Feedback Score
    delete
    Last edited by Delta-3; 09-29-20 at 11:42.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789