Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reason to buy 38 special?

Feedback Score
    If you want "good" penetration (not just 12-14 inches in test gelatin) and expansion from a two-inch barrel your going to need at least a mild .357 load. (Or .327)

If your willing to give up some penetration or the expansion .38 special can do that with less recoil and blast. (And so can .32 magnum, and you get an extra shot, too)

I've tested many .32's, .38's, and .357's from a snub over my chronograph.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Pocket carry - the fact you can have your hand on the snub, almost have it gripped, aimed on target (if carrying in a jacket) and the ability to fire multiple shots while concealed / without drawing, while a semi of any type would likely malfunction on clothing or cases. And from a pocket, a hammerless J-frame is the smoothest draw around, with nothing to snag like the backend of a slide or rear sight.

It's definitely a niche' firearm and if I can carry a weapon on the belt, it's a 9MM semiauto. But for pocket / ankle carry, a J-frame is still very valid.
    You will set your coat on fire but it will work. Another quality of a revo is the ability to push it into an attacker , this would push the slide out of battery in a semi-auto

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Much easier and fast follow up shots with .38 spl. especially out of a lightweight compact.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    You will set your coat on fire but it will work. Another quality of a revo is the ability to push it into an attacker , this would push the slide out of battery in a semi-auto
    Really? On fire???

Another old wives tale? 3:00 min for the shot.

Several other videos fail to show "coat on fire"...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Pocket carry. I find that my 640 Pro prints significantly less than my Glock 43 (more of lump than a squared-off handgun look). The 640 is heavier than my 442, but has night sights which regulate to the 135 gr. Speer Gold Dot Short barrel and reduced recoil load.
    That is one thing a lot of people who carry, overlook. Even with a pocket holster, a slide gun in the pocket, has "the look". Some people will mistake it for a wallet, but not with a snubbie. If someone does notice the "lump" in your pocket, they will have a hard time making it out for what it is.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Really? On fire???

Another old wives tale? 3:00 min for the shot.

Several other videos fail to show "coat on fire"...
    I tried shooting from the pocket with a Model 60, a wool coat and a cotton winter coat. Both coats caught on fire.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Another advantage a shrouded hammer J-frame revolver has is ease of draw when compared to the rear of the slide from a smaller semi-auto & sights, which can snag far easier on the pocket.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I tried shooting from the pocket with a Model 60, a wool coat and a cotton winter coat. Both coats caught on fire.
    I'm sure it has a lot to do with the jacket construction and the ammo being used.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I suggest firing a round through a pocket before donning the coat. It can make for an interesting moment removing a coat you just set on fire.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Big Brother, Little Brother

Last edited by Pappabear; 07-03-20 at 17:48.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast