Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reason to buy 38 special?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Reason to buy 38 special?

I'm looking for a pocket gun for walking the dog and suchlike. I wonder if there’s any specific reason to buy a 38 special snub ode revolver when you can get a basically identical revolver chambered in 357.

I can’t think of one.
    Am I missing something?

JRC
    Last edited by jrcii; 06-01-20 at 20:42. Reason: Add more info

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I find myself shooting 38SPL out of my 357Magnums more than I shoot the magnums. Since I don’t use mine for carry, (686 and 627) they are for fun.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    I edited my question in response to your answer.

JRC

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I find myself shooting 38SPL out of my 357Magnums more than I shoot the magnums. Since I don’t use mine for carry, (686 and 627) they are for fun.
    This, and the 38's cost much less, so why buy the 357 when you get very little more out of a 2.5 inch barrel. I've been through this with both, sold the 357 (even though its a better gun technically) and rock the 38 in the summer.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Both my snub's are .38. A 2" SP101 and a 2" Model 15. Running .38 +P 125gr Nyclads in them.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
    Both my snub's are .38. A 2" SP101 and a 2" Model 15. Running .38 +P 125gr Nyclads in them.
    Where did you find Nyclads? I carried them in my J Frames until they became unavailable.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Where did you find Nyclads? I carried them in my J Frames until they became unavailable.
    Have had the for years. Was gifted a case of them. I thought Federal brought them back, but haven't bought any in a long time.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Most who own/carry .357 snubs end up carrying .38 Spl +P due to reasons stated. With that in mind, I'd say the advantages of a .38 revolver over a .357 are:

lighter weight— the extra material or heavier material (steel vs aluminum) needed to reinforce a .357 Mag revolver are noticeable and can change the way the gun carries, especially in the type of clothing one typically opts for a j-frame (or LCR, etc.)

cost— you CAN have an ultralight .357, but you're going to pay 2-3 times more than you would for an aluminum .38 Spl. If you're just going to carry .38 anyway, why pay extra?

Feedback Score
    delete
    Last edited by Delta-3; 09-29-20 at 11:42.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you're thinking 38 spc, would you consider 380 ACP? Has almost identical ballistics.

Alternatively maybe something super pocketable like a Ruger LC9 in 9mm. Just a thought.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast