Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reason to buy 38 special?

Feedback Score

Reason to buy 38 special?

I'm looking for a pocket gun for walking the dog and suchlike. I wonder if there’s any specific reason to buy a 38 special snub ode revolver when you can get a basically identical revolver chambered in 357.

I can’t think of one.
    Am I missing something?

JRC
    Last edited by jrcii; 06-01-20 at 20:42. Reason: Add more info

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I find myself shooting 38SPL out of my 357Magnums more than I shoot the magnums. Since I don’t use mine for carry, (686 and 627) they are for fun.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    I edited my question in response to your answer.

JRC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you're thinking 38 spc, would you consider 380 ACP? Has almost identical ballistics.

Alternatively maybe something super pocketable like a Ruger LC9 in 9mm. Just a thought.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    No! You buy the .357 revolver but you train, practice with 38spl.

If you get a hand me down .38spl that's fine.

Otherwise, you always get the .357 unless you you have a very strong reason not to do so. Price is usually the factor. Availability.

It's always been that way. You are not missing anything in your scenario. The reasoning is that the .357 will handle any load and it's pretty much the "same thing" physically.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    .357 out of a snub gives you more blast, flash and kick for no big advantage.

If it were me, I'd buy either, based on availability and price. If you get a .357, load her up with .38 ammo.

Feedback Score
    What does .357 get you out of a two inch barrel? A flash bang with so so ballistics.
    Super lightweight.357s also get limited to certain heavier bullet weights due to recoil induced issues.
    That said, .357s generally hold their value a bit more. Continuing the generalizations, Smith .357s are usually built a bit stouter than the comparable .38 only and may have some nice features that allow customization. The .357s also cost a lot more new.

I have a .357 and numerous.38s. Short of bears, I don’t see a need for .357 in snubbies and that is a poor use case. Snubby rounds struggle with penetration but there is some great looking new bullet types out there.
    Check out revolverguy.com. Lots of good articulation there on modern wheelgunning.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    I'm looking for a pocket gun for walking the dog and suchlike. I wonder if there’s any specific reason to buy a 38 special snub ode revolver when you can get a basically identical revolver chambered in 357.

I can’t think of one.
    Am I missing something?

JRC
    It is lighter and less noticeable when carrying all day.

Steady diet of 38 +P will not last, as my good friend found out. It was a S&W 442. He and I loaded 38 +P at the max recommended powder. It is no slouch. For general purposes it is more than plenty.

Stainless is more durable but weighs about a half pound more. 357 Magnum allows both 38 Special/38 +P and 357 Magnum

I have a S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot. Points well and draws very fast from the pocket.

There are short barrel cartridges that work for 38/357 Magnum. I personally don’t find 357 Magnum to be bad for recoil or muzzle flip but I also shoot a Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull 2.5”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I often carry a S&W 640 Pro .357. With specific short-barreled loads (Buffalo Bore 140 grain XPB and Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 gr.), recoil is not much more than the a standard .38 and POI/POA stays inline with the factory sights out to at least 25 yards (farthest I've shot it). I've also found that it prints less in the front pocket than my Glock 43.

Feedback Score
    Here is data from a test using .38 vs. .357. https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/rev...istics-test/8/

A variety of ammo was used between two guns: 4.2" revolver; 2" revolver. Testing reflects that .357 magnum out of a snub still outperforms .38. Add that to defensive ammunition manufacturers who now make rounds tailored to snubby .357s and the recoil/flash argument is diminished. I would say that to deliberately choose a .38 over a comparable .357 is simply loose options. At the end of the day the choice is yours but why limit yourself?
    Last edited by UTShooter71; 06-02-20 at 09:21.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast