Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reason to buy 38 special?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Both my snub's are .38. A 2" SP101 and a 2" Model 15. Running .38 +P 125gr Nyclads in them.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
    Both my snub's are .38. A 2" SP101 and a 2" Model 15. Running .38 +P 125gr Nyclads in them.
    Where did you find Nyclads? I carried them in my J Frames until they became unavailable.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Where did you find Nyclads? I carried them in my J Frames until they became unavailable.
    Have had the for years. Was gifted a case of them. I thought Federal brought them back, but haven't bought any in a long time.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Cost the Smith 38 airweights are a lot cheaper than the scandium 357s
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
    Have had the for years. Was gifted a case of them. I thought Federal brought them back, but haven't bought any in a long time.
    I recovered a few of them from injured animals that were put out of their misery with a Model 60. Every one of the Nyclads I recovered had expanded.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I have both but I typically carry a regular old hammerless airweight just because it is so convenient vs my 640 Pro that will accept .357. The .357 is a difficult round out of a small handgun, and is definitely a flinch inducer. Whether that would be an issue in a real emergency I don't know.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A .357 gives you options that a plain .38spl does not. Sometimes .38spl is cheaper but if you can afford it get the .357, IMO...

Feedback Score
    I would agree with that. A .357 in and of itself makes no sense in a short barrel revolver. You get a huge flame, which may impress the perp, but it wastes the powder, and yes, you'll flinch. But, I would still recommend a .357 if you have a larger .357 or intend to get one. You never can tell when you'll need a backup, say, if the larger one fails. You can't put .357 into a .38. I'd also suggest you put .38 (either special or +p, whatever it is rated for) in the small one, and then rely on the extra .357 if you need it. No fumbling with "Which ammo can I put in it?.

A revolver fail, you may ask with incredulity. The only firearm I've ever had jam was a Smith 19. It was the hand. I sent it to Smith and they fixed it free, but I never trusted it again.
    Hurrah for The Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by REDinFL View Post
    I would agree with that. A .357 in and of itself makes no sense in a short barrel revolver. You get a huge flame, which may impress the perp, but it wastes the powder, and yes, you'll flinch. But, I would still recommend a .357 if you have a larger .357 or intend to get one. You never can tell when you'll need a backup, say, if the larger one fails. You can't put .357 into a .38. I'd also suggest you put .38 (either special or +p, whatever it is rated for) in the small one, and then rely on the extra .357 if you need it. No fumbling with "Which ammo can I put in it?.

A revolver fail, you may ask with incredulity. The only firearm I've ever had jam was a Smith 19. It was the hand. I sent it to Smith and they fixed it free, but I never trusted it again.
    My only jam with a revo was un-burned powder stuck between the forcing cone and cylinder. The reloads was loaded heavy with a dirty powder and the revo was a Colt OP that had tight tolerances.

Feedback Score
    .357 all day every day IF it’s a 340PD... BUT that being said, I own two .38s: a 442 and a 642. Because two is one....

And even if I had the .357, I’d still roll .38! Why? Because I can hit w/ it fine at 15 and okay at 25. Shot placement above all else.

For the record: it’s my work BUG and a around my rural town primary. Otherwise it’s a P320 9 at work and in the big city.

Pistols get you into trouble. Revolvers get you out!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast