Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reason to buy 38 special?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Really? On fire???

Another old wives tale? 3:00 min for the shot.

Several other videos fail to show "coat on fire"...
    Ha ha ha! That was funny stuff right there! Love my Snubs.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I suggest firing a round through a pocket before donning the coat. It can make for an interesting moment removing a coat you just set on fire.
    Wool caught on fire from a pistol discharged in a pocket? Doubtful. Wool was used in early fire resistant clothing due to the difficulty of getting it to burn.

You can't get gunpowder to reliably ignite from a muzzle blast.

I may get an old coat and try it.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    I've always thought better for the .357 that can shoot both rather than just plain old .38. I did end up getting my wife a Taurus .38 (titanium & ported), but it was also to help out my friend/dealer that worked out of his house & got stuck with it after another guy backed out of the purchase after getting him to order it. But if you got a really good price on a .38, that is always a good deal too.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Without a 6” barrel you really aren’t getting the most out of a .357.

All I have is 38 +P in my revolvers except a stash for my 6”. With hunting, I just go .44 special

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Without a 6” barrel you really aren’t getting the most out of a .357.

All I have is 38 +P in my revolvers except a stash for my 6”. With hunting, I just go .44 special
    You are getting a lot more with the 357 in any barrel length vs the 38 special. Granted the longer the barrel the bigger the difference is velocity is but even with short snubbies you still get a good velocity boost from the 357.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    You are getting a lot more with the 357 in any barrel length vs the 38 special. Granted the longer the barrel the bigger the difference is velocity is but even with short snubbies you still get a good velocity boost from the 357.
    I don’t disagree but I have had the best overall performance out of my Dan Wesson 15.

I just use 38 +P as more of a sweet spot. I don’t really carry a revolver back up like I used to (G19 life) but for a house gun or whatnot; I find 38 +P does more for me than .357 mag defensively.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I think the sweet spot would be 357 mag ammo loaded down to 9mm velocities. The 38+P is just a little too anemic for my tastes.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think the sweet spot would be 357 mag ammo loaded down to 9mm velocities. The 38+P is just a little too anemic for my tastes.
    Okay. I just shoot wheelguns for fun and maybe pigging but please explain downloading .357 mag to 9mm and if anyone sells rounds like that pre-made or load data because I think I need to do this once in life.

Per .38+P. I have some FBI loads and they seem okay to me.

I have a model 10 snubbie I love.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Okay. I just shoot wheelguns for fun and maybe pigging but please explain downloading .357 mag to 9mm and if anyone sells rounds like that pre-made or load data because I think I need to do this once in life.

Per .38+P. I have some FBI loads and they seem okay to me.

I have a model 10 snubbie I love.
    The Golden Saber .357 JHP is basically hot 9mm ballistics, running about 1200fps. For controllability in a small gun it makes sense, and .357 length cases theoretically get better performance than .38 cases since there is less of a barrel cylinder gap. But I have a huge stash of Buffalo Bore .38 +P and it works for me too.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    ...but if you're going to do that, you may as well just carry a 9mm.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast