Thread: Question about OAL

Feedback Score

Question about OAL

This is my first post here. This is my second AR that I've assembled. My goal was cheap cheap cheap. PSA pistol lower, PSA MPI BCG, PSA 11.5" SS barrel. Everything else is pretty much the cheapest stuff I could source. I'm under just $500 not counting the cheap cheap cheap red dot sight, $535 with. 120 rounds through it so far without a glitch. Anyhow, I have a question about measuring the OAL of the gun as I'd like to run a VFG. I've done searches and can't find a clear answer, and I'm not sure I'll get it here, but I don't want to (and will not) fire off a letter to the BATF and stir up trouble. I understand I can't use the brace, same for the muzzle device, but what about the handguard? In all the decisions put out by the BATF they cite that you can't use the brace as it is not integral to the operation of the gun, not because it is simply removable. The muzzle device can't be used either if it isn't permanantly attached, that has been a long standing rule. What about the handguard though? Yes it is removable, but it could also be argued that it is integral to the operation of the gun. Yes you can run it without a handguard, but the exposed barrel is a burn hazard and the gas tube is exposed and vulnerable to damage. I think you could argue that even though it is removable, it is integral to the operation of the gun just like the removable pistol grip is. If it is integral to the operation, just like the removable buffer tube is, can't I use it to determine my OAL? The reason I ask is that measuring the end of the buffer tube to the end of the barrel I am at 25 13/16 inches. If I measure to the end of the handguard I'm at 26 5/16 inches. I'm considering just having a welder weld a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum to the end of the buffer tube just to be safe, but I just thought this was an interesting thing to discuss.
    0601201716_HDR.jpg
    Last edited by jk651; 06-02-20 at 01:33.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-5-quot-barrel

Take a read through this thread. The answers from Iraqgunz and BigWaylon are what you are looking for.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I've seen that thread. It doesn't really address the issue of having a handguard that is longer than the barrel or the fact that OAL, based on decisions by BATF, seems to be based not on whether something is removable or not, but rather if it is integral to the operation of the firearm.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My thinking- A handgun is designed to be used with one hand.

The handguard is only integral to operation if you use two hands.

Instead of welding an aluminum pad to the RE, use an A5 type RE.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    I have never seen handguard used.
    Go by barrel length and receiver extension.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    My thinking- A handgun is designed to be used with one hand.

The handguard is only integral to operation if you use two hands.
    That kind of leads into something that makes me laugh about NFA law. You can't use a VFG on a pistol without creating an AOW because you are redesigning it to be fired with two hands, but doesn't the handguard do that by itself? I just find their logic comical sometimes. Just because you add VFG to a pistol doesn't mean you can't fire it with one hand, and just because you don't have a VFG doesn't mean you can't fire a pistol with two hands. Bureaucratic thinking at its finest right there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post

Instead of welding an aluminum pad to the RE, use an A5 type RE.

I just googled the lengths and I thought there was a larger difference in length between between the two than there is, so that might be a possibility.
    Last edited by jk651; 06-02-20 at 12:14.