Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Colt 9mm carbines

Feedback Score
    After searching my Colt Catalogs I believe your Colt 9mm is a AR6430 postban carbine made sometime between 1995 and 2004. Most Colts made during this time frame had the large pin sear block and no flash suppressor or bayonet lug. However, since yours is a LEO model it would have the FS and bayo lug. Since it is roll marked with the LEO marks on the rights side it probably was made later than 1999 but before 2004 when the AWB law expired. I don't have catalogs for those years to verify. Colt has a bad habit of mixing and matching parts from different model years and this makes it very hard to determine exactly when a particular rifle was made. Bottom line: it is definitely not a preban! I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Fullbird; 05-16-10 at 11:58.

Feedback Score
    FUllbird:

I really appreciate your input!

Any thoughts about the scope on the gun? It seems mismatched as my research shows it's for long range, but somewhat dated. I've seen the scope for sale for as much as $600, but then again, you can find all sorts of rediculous prices for AR equipment these days.

I'm wondering if the whole thing is worth putting away in the safe or not.

On another point, thinking about appropriate optics on a 6450. I liked the 3x20 scope on the other gun, but considering what to put on the incoming 6450. Not sure an ACOG is worth it for a 9mm, but considering the C-More Scout and a couple of other options. Opinions welcome!

Feedback Score
    In 1985 Colt introduced the R6450 9mm Carbine. (Type 1 collapsing stock, no sear block, flash suppressor, bayonet lug and no brass deflector) Then in 1992 they introduced the R6430 9mm Sporter Lightweight Carbine. (For some unknown reason Colt introduced the model number 6450 before the 6430) The R6430 had a fixed C7 stock (A slightly shortened A2 stock) no bayonet lug, flash suppressor, a small pin sear block and a plastic brass deflector. Since your carbine is a LEO version it has features of both models. To most Colt collectors, the R6450 is the desireable model, but who knows, maybe in another 20 years the LEO versions will be in demand.

The 3X20 scope is an early model Colt scope that has some collector value. Last time I looked they were selling in the $250 to $350 range (new condition with original box, leather lens covers and paperwork). The 4X20 is selling for more than that.

In my opinion the iron sights are best for the 9mm considering its short range capability. If you prefer optics, use a red dot.

Feedback Score

bought a 6450 yesterday

bought a 9mm colt carb. it has law enforcement only printed on right side, i guess anyone can buy these. i will try it out monday my next day off. glad to have found this forum. the 1911 forum folks pointed me this way.

Feedback Score
    I purchased a new AR6450, a few days ago. After doing some online research, I learned that a ramped bolt carrier and stainless-steel trigger/hammer assembly pins were once common upgrades for this rifle. I am pleased to report that Colt now icorporates these features into the new rifles.

Last edited by girvin02; 06-25-10 at 09:52.

Feedback Score

i have not shot mine yet. it may be a few more weeks. totally new to any AR. they look like they are made to come apart easy. mine is new it should be like what is shown in pic. thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I really need one of these...way cheaper thatn the MP5 clones out there...Hopefully someone can trade me for one.

Feedback Score
    dont know much to tell you except to look on gunbroker, seen some around 1000$ new, 700 used. i traded a 3inch kimber pistol in on mine and have too much in it but will keep it.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567