Thread: New Member A Journey to My AR Pistol

Feedback Score

New Member A Journey to My AR Pistol

After a recent online discussion/debate about the best gun for HD, I decided to snag a BCM AR pistol.

The debate was grounded in that I have a lot of handgun experience, and am completely comfortable with any number of 9mm’s within reach when something goes bump in the night. During my online debate, I contended that the rifle rounds would over penetrate, but I kept an open mind... and after a decent amount of research, I now realize the 5.56/.223 is a better suited round in many aspects of ballistics suited for HD.

I had an AR, but it wasn’t practical. It was a full 20” Colt AR-15 A2 Sporter 2, that has sat in my safe for the past 28 years. I never shoot it, and I would never prefer a LR for CQC. I prefer the maneuverability of a smaller gun platform.

In another thread here about HD, there was a lot of advice, and criticism, of how people would/should defend their homes. Everyone has different situations, different environments, different training, and different comfort levels. I am never a fan of blanket statements of what is best for people, or how they must defend their homes. So this might not be popular, but I think a longer barrel rifle is horrible for HD, for MY situation. I don’t live on a ranch, and really (though I have a larger home), there’s no distance in my home, where I would miss a target (bad guy), even with a Handgun. I have a lot of experience using a 16” barrel AR (BCM) in clearing buildings and such, and I still would prefer my handgun to a LR for close quarters. In certain circumstances (to clear a building) with a 16” AR and a handgun both readily available, I’d go with the handgun.

So... in my quest to get my BCM Gunslinger 11.5” Recce, I needed to somehow fund the venture... that brought me to the possibility of selling something that was just sitting in my safe unused, in order to turn that into something practical and useful. The colt sold, and I now own the BCM pictured.

I’m new, and look forward to participating in this forum, as I have a lot to learn.

9D65750A-B49B-4E65-849B-82C09D10FF88.jpeg
    Last edited by Trihonda; 06-05-20 at 10:43.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Congrats on a gorgeous AR pistol. Can you share which 11.5’’ model specifically you got and where you purchased from? I’ve been looking out for the BCM 11.5” ELW pistol but everyone is OOS. Many thanks..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hk91308 View Post
    Congrats on a gorgeous AR pistol. Can you share which 11.5’’ model specifically you got and where you purchased from? I’ve been looking out for the BCM 11.5” ELW pistol but everyone is OOS. Many thanks..
    LGS purchase. I’m in WI so maybe that’s by theyre able to obtain these? They’re not even listed on heir website yet

Recce 11 MCMR BFH sba3 mark2. Msrp $1650. It’s what’s written on the box. Price did not include sights or optics.

Feedback Score
    I just purchased a BCM 11.5 FSB upper from Rainier arms mid May. Not sure if you have a lower to put it on.

Feedback Score
    Oh, I noticed you we’re looking for the light barrel. I specifically avoided that barrel partly due to long term value retention and accuracy issues. And on the advice of my LGS, who had both barrels and said to go with the full weight heavy barrel. Said the ELW doesn’t really save that much weight. Dunno.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trihonda View Post
    Oh, I noticed you we’re looking for the light barrel. I specifically avoided that barrel partly due to long term value retention and accuracy issues. And on the advice of my LGS, who had both barrels and said to go with the full weight heavy barrel. Said the ELW doesn’t really save that much weight. Dunno.
    I would probably not seek their advice in the future. Unless you're doing full auto mag dumps on a regular basis, the lifespan and accuracy between the two is going to be negligible. The ELW is a great barrel and is noticeably lighter. That said, unless you're going to be hiking miles and miles with it, the weight difference isn't gonna matter much. Congrats on a great AR pistol.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^Absolutely this.

I run an 11.5” BCM Fluted ELW upper and run it hard.
    Accuracy is on par with my Colt 14.5” SOCOM boat anchor or any of my 16” guns.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    ^^Absolutely this.

I run an 11.5” BCM Fluted ELW upper and run it hard.
    Accuracy is on par with my Colt 14.5” SOCOM boat anchor or any of my 16” guns.
    Can you please provide further feedback on the fluted ELW vs ELW uppers? I considered the fluted ELW as well but read that they are not as good if running suppressed. This will be my designated host pistol AR for my Surefire RC2.

Many thanks, and thank you all for the posts above.

Feedback Score
    My philosophy was that older Colts Seem To be more Desirable with the heavier barrels. And I’ve heard the Thinner barrels heat up Fiercely and can have slight temporary deformations that affect accuracy. I’ve read this in several online articles and heard about it in a few YouTube vids. all this could be true, or false, but I have a heavier barrel and nots just fine by me.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I was in the heavy barrel camp until I came across this information. This isn’t the original article I read, but tells the same story. Last few builds I have done were pencil barrels just to get some swing back while running suppressed.

https://www.everydaymarksman.co/equi...rofile-barrel/