Thread: New Member A Journey to My AR Pistol

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

New Member A Journey to My AR Pistol

After a recent online discussion/debate about the best gun for HD, I decided to snag a BCM AR pistol.

The debate was grounded in that I have a lot of handgun experience, and am completely comfortable with any number of 9mm’s within reach when something goes bump in the night. During my online debate, I contended that the rifle rounds would over penetrate, but I kept an open mind... and after a decent amount of research, I now realize the 5.56/.223 is a better suited round in many aspects of ballistics suited for HD.

I had an AR, but it wasn’t practical. It was a full 20” Colt AR-15 A2 Sporter 2, that has sat in my safe for the past 28 years. I never shoot it, and I would never prefer a LR for CQC. I prefer the maneuverability of a smaller gun platform.

In another thread here about HD, there was a lot of advice, and criticism, of how people would/should defend their homes. Everyone has different situations, different environments, different training, and different comfort levels. I am never a fan of blanket statements of what is best for people, or how they must defend their homes. So this might not be popular, but I think a longer barrel rifle is horrible for HD, for MY situation. I don’t live on a ranch, and really (though I have a larger home), there’s no distance in my home, where I would miss a target (bad guy), even with a Handgun. I have a lot of experience using a 16” barrel AR (BCM) in clearing buildings and such, and I still would prefer my handgun to a LR for close quarters. In certain circumstances (to clear a building) with a 16” AR and a handgun both readily available, I’d go with the handgun.

So... in my quest to get my BCM Gunslinger 11.5” Recce, I needed to somehow fund the venture... that brought me to the possibility of selling something that was just sitting in my safe unused, in order to turn that into something practical and useful. The colt sold, and I now own the BCM pictured.

I’m new, and look forward to participating in this forum, as I have a lot to learn.

9D65750A-B49B-4E65-849B-82C09D10FF88.jpeg
    Last edited by Trihonda; 06-05-20 at 10:43.