Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Misspelled trust name

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Misspelled trust name

So it happened to me.

An engraver misspelled my trust name. On three guns. 2 AR's and an MP5. I'm livid.

I understand that mistakes happen, but when your living revolves around one single task this one is an unforgivable.

The AR's are engraved in the trigger guard, the MP5 on a sideplate.

The shame-on-me part is that the engraving was done a few years ago and I just noticed. Yes, I should have noticed right away, but that does not change the fact that it's wrong. It's not like it was perfect at the time and suddenly the spelling changed.

The engraver misspelled my trust name by a single letter, but in the ATF's eyes, its a different entity. according to my attorney, I am not compliant. There is no room for error on this. I could create another trust and transfer the guns to the new trust, but besides the cost, I would be stuck with two trusts forever. Not a viable option. I cannot simply amend the existing trust to include another name as the name on the Form 1 does not match the engraving.

The engraver offered to re-engrave on another are of the receivers. Not an option for me. There were not random cheap lowers. One of them has deep sentimental value to me and none of them can be replaced.

Any suggestions on options? Can the area be filled in, engraved again and if necessary re-anodized? Does anyone offer this service?
    Last edited by Bluto; 06-03-20 at 06:43.

Feedback Score
    Why not have him correct it the old style way... cross out the wrong letter and carrot in the correct one?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 06-03-20 at 07:19.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Why not have him correct it the old style way... cross out the wrong letter and carrot in the correct one?
    Unfortunately there is not enough room in the magwell for that.
    Last edited by Bluto; 06-03-20 at 07:25.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post

The shame-on-me part is that the engraving was done a few years ago and I just noticed. Yes, I should have noticed right away, but that does not change the fact that it's wrong. It's not like it was perfect at the time and suddenly the spelling changed.

The engraver misspelled my trust name by a single letter, but in the ATF's eyes, its a different entity. according to my attorney, I am not compliant. There is no room for error on this. I could create another trust and transfer the guns to the new trust, but besides the cost, I would be stuck with two trusts forever. Not a viable option. I cannot simply amend the existing trust to include another name as the name on the Form 1 does not match the engraving.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Pappabear had a small issue like that. I had my city spelled wrong on one item.

My thought is "who gives a shit?". But on the other hand, how can so many people who engrave be so dumb?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I had someone do the same thing. He actually was able to fix it so that I can't even tell. In fact, I he did such a decent job on the fix I can't tell which gun it was.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Just engrave in another location and alumi-black over the old area.

Paint them with a camo pattern and you'll never notice.

Or obsess over it forever.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Is the trigger guard replaceable? If so, make the engraver pay for replacements, then whatever charges a more competent engraver sends your way. As for correcting the MP5 side plate, I have nothing to offer.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    TIG weld and re-engrave?

Sent from 80ms in the future

Feedback Score
    Oops!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast