Thread: High cholesterol and plant sterols

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

High cholesterol and plant sterols

About a year and half ago I was diagnosed with high cholesterol. Iv never had a problem with that before and was kinda shocked. I don't remember what they numbers were but I was told it was high.

I don't like to take drugs unless absolutely necessary so I looked at what I was eating and cut out certain foods. I don't eat unhealthy but there was room to get rid or reduce a few things. The few strips of bacon with eggs every Sunday for breakfast were gone. The eggs I started only using the whites. Less cheese, a little less.... didn't eat much to begin with. Focused more on fat trimming when cooking. Threw out chicken skin, a little more greens and a little less meat. I've always eaten a good amount of greens anyway so this wasn't a big deal.

6 months later another test showed my cholesterol levels were even higher! .
    My total was 265 with LDL 187 but triglycerides were well below borderline. I don't remember what the number was but doctor said it's not even something to be concerned about. Doc again suggested meds, which I didn't want. Instead I asked for another 6+ months to see if I can do it without. This was last July.

Did more research into what helps and there was no miracle food but a lot of little changes add up. My breakfast became a veggie smoothly with garlic, drank water with psyllium ground husks (flavorless), continued to throw out the parts of meat heavy in cholesterol like chicken skin and fat in red meat while adding even more fish and avocados. Cut out meat for lunch and went with some kind of a salad, not necessarily green. And also added plant sterols. At first in the form of butter but then in pill form. Took 2 pills 2x a day. Before breakfast and early evening usually before dinner

I can't speak to what helped more or how much of an impact each individual part had but I got my test results back yesterday. My total fell from 265 to 213. LDL fell from 187 to 132. HDL was 64 and Triglycerides were 85. Doc said probably the total is even less but I have a pretty high amount of HDL making the total a little higher. And I noticed my BP came down a little as well. Where before at rest I'd be something like 120-130 over 70-80 now I have that after a 2 miles walk with my dog. Resting now is 110-120 over 60-75

My goal is to lower cholesterol more and maintain it. But for now I'm thrilled.

The reason I wanted to share this is that I don't typically buy into the over the counter "health" supplements but it seems to have at least helped. If you find yourself suddenly with high cholesterol try a change/tweak in food and add plant sterols

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My old Doctor recommended Red Yeast Rice as an over the counter diet supplement. I don't know what it is, but I too had high levels.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Chicken skin - Pros: Excellent source of collagen CONS: Fat/Cholesterol- Look for a good supplement to replace the collagen you're losing.

I was in the same boat last physical, but I know why - I started eating more crap foods and less cardio. Well not so much crap foods as a lot of eggs, there was usually a small slice of bacon or a little sausage involved as well. Cobb salad negated by the awesome quantity of real and fresh bacon bits in a pile - I have that entirely removed now...LOL.

Since I knew what I had done, I spoke with my Doc about foregoing Statins for now and let me work on correcting with diet and exercise.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jethroUSMC View Post
    Chicken skin - Pros: Excellent source of collagen CONS: Fat/Cholesterol- Look for a good supplement to replace the collagen you're losing.

I was in the same boat last physical, but I know why - I started eating more crap foods and less cardio. Well not so much crap foods as a lot of eggs, there was usually a small slice of bacon or a little sausage involved as well. Cobb salad negated by the awesome quantity of real and fresh bacon bits in a pile - I have that entirely removed now...LOL.

Since I knew what I had done, I spoke with my Doc about foregoing Statins for now and let me work on correcting with diet and exercise.
    My bacon was only Sunday breakfast and one or two slices. Eggs were only Saturday and Sunday breakfast. The rest of the week was regular none sweetened oatmeal with some sunflower seeds and a sprinkling of cinnamon. I can see maybe a slight increase from the little bit of bacon and eggs but I went from never having a problem to ....problem!

As for everything else, I've been a pretty well rounded eater. I never disliked veggies and my mom never let me leave the table without eating all of them. Whole fish, veggies and fruits have always been a staple in my family. On the other hand ordering pizzas or going for fast-food was rare. Even sodas in the house was rare. Last time I ate a fast food burger was around 2009. I was stuck in Elk ridge MD and starving. I had a slice of pizza sometime last year. Guys at work bought a pie and I grabbed a slice. Because of this I'm not really concerned about collagen. All of the chicken is a good source of collagen along with fish, citrus fruits, berries, garlic, leafy greens like spinach, kale and swiss chard..... All this I eat on a weekly basis, much of it on a daily basis

I do like red meat. And that could have been the problem
    Last edited by Arik; 06-04-20 at 11:18.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've had high cholesterol (HDL) and Low (LDL) for more than a decade, it's genetic and have been on statins & fish oil for more than a decade. It wasn't coming from my diet, although my lack of exercise was causing my LDL to be low. I tried for over a year to change my diet and in spirit of simplicity wasn't lowering HDL, but was lowering Triglycerides so statins for me.

Recently during the pandemic I lost 20 pounds because the only thing to do was walk outside, the weather was beautiful and 5-7 miles a day 9 weeks later viola -20 pounds. Now 5-7 miles is ez pz although 90 degree weather made it a bit tougher today, so speed is the name of the game. Used to walk avg 20 minute miles with a significant elevation change (GA), now at 17:30 average.

Fast forward to my next blood checkup, I'm curious, if my High wasn't from diet and has been controlled for decades, but my low was lack of movement I would expect excellent HDL and similarly excellent LDL. As another bonus, my Goldwing has less mass to carry around and is faster and handles better than ever........and the next Appleseed shoot should be very easy even in the heat of GA.