Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock disassembly and reassembly book

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I had plans to take a class this summer, but I think the C19 jacked that up.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Graffex's suggestion is a good one, this is a link to the second edition:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In what I could read he says he's had hands on every Glock Gen1 - Gen 5
    I just wanted to check back in on this book.

If you know nothing about Glocks and want to learn every model they've ever made, this is the book for you.

If you want to dig into the Glock, perform detailed disassembly, or even a $0.25 trigger job, this isn't the book for you.

The chapter titled Maintenance/Disassembly (With Gen5 Updates) is 26 pages long, the section on Detailed Disassembly/Assembly is pages 220 -224, the section has two pictures, one of dental picks, one of the slide lock showing the lip pointed to the rear. Everything is narrative - in paragraph form. I think outline form, e.g. Step 1..... would be more user friendly. As I said, though, no high speed secrets, etc.

The book has a lot of pictures, black and white. For the most part the ones I think would be important, for example the ones in Chapter 2 Glock Safety Mechanisms are low contrast and way too small.

He does a fairly good job of explaining the differences between the generations, but again, in the section of the chapter where he lays each part out side by side to show generational changes the pictures, for the most part are too low contrast to be any good. Plus there is little explanation before this display of pictures as to why the changes were made.

All in all, I was disappointed in the book, the author gets wordy about personal experiences and expounds, seemingly just to fill space, as an example:

When I was just a little guy I remember riding in my step-dads's 1974 Chevy Suburban.....

To explain, the author's step-dad has a label reading KISS under the odometer, and when asked explained what it meant, the author uses this segue to make the non-point that:

...since Gaston Glock spoke little English at the time he developed the Glock 17, I doubt if he had heard of KISS, but maybe the Austrians have something similar in German........either way the Glock design exemplifies the KISS principle......

Why do you need that in a technical book? He explains that the Gen 3's had a -15 degree ejection port rear face compared to the 90 degree rear face on previous models, but doesn't explain why, yet we get stories about riding in his step-dad's suburban.

I could go on, but you get the point, I hpe.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lowprone View Post
    Yeah, I would have to drive 500 miles 1 way .
    Not my company.

Just answered your question

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Listen, I’m a functioning retard, and I can take apart and put together a Glock in my sleep. It’s insanely easy and part of why Glock is genius.

The Glockstore has some really good videos on YouTube about disassembly/reassembly with good info about why parts are certain ways, etc.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Dont waste your money. What you seek can be had online and youtube for free.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am a glass half empty guy and don't believe this information will be available forever on the internet.

Feedback Score
    I am a glass half empty guy and don't believe this information will be available forever on the internet.
    You detail strip a Glock 2 or 3 times, you’ll pretty much see it’s easy! And I’m a step and a half below average...LOL

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    don't believe this information will be available forever on the internet.
    I'm of the same mindset. That's why I recently invested in a couple of up to date reloading manuals. Too many variables with different cartridges, powders, bullets primers etc. You may have a recipe that works perfect, then one day only find comparable powders to what you usually used. Or have to settle for a same weight, but different brand projectile with a different ogive or tip. I'll keep as many reloading manuals as I can fit on the shelf.

But as far as Glock disassembly/reassembly...a few successful times and I think I've got that down. Same goes for my AR's and SG's.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    It only takes a couple of times, and you will have it memorized. Glocks are very simple design, and offer a very user friendly disassembly. Heck just one of those techmats with the schematic would probably give you more than enough how to.

Feedback Score
    If your a dedicated Glockster, it’s worthwhile taking the Glock Armors course, if you qualify. The guns mostly look the same from one generation to the next, but internals have evolved over the years. It is interesting to work on the different generation guns and see how “Perfection” has (mostly) improved. Also, it’s a chance to meet some pretty interesting people, both instructors and classmates.

Being an industry professional qualities you, as does being current or former military with a DD214.

And, if your LE, the 2-day LE Instructor Training course is outstanding. On the second day, the instructor brought out a G18 and let students do full auto mag dumps, one after the other. Ran it so hard it got too hot to handle, he took a bottle of ice water from cooler, dumped it on pistol, and handed it to next student, good to go. Impressive.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast