Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: 6mm ARC: Has Hornady Struck Gold?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by akxx View Post
    Very cool. Didn’t realize the 12” 6ARC would keep it supersonic to 1k. That is unique.

Not trying to start anything resembling a caliber war (and it doesn’t appear anyone took it that way)—genuinely curious what folks were looking to do with an SBR 6ARC (aside from the “just because” if you are also going with a longer barrel upper as well—I totally get that!).
    You'll find that you'll want a bit more margin to assure staying sonic to 1K than 1147fps would usually permit. That's the speed output from a ballistic calculator, but you'll find that if you plug in cold and dry air, a high pressure system, some BC variation (normal even with great bullets like the ELD-Ms), that margin can disappear pretty fast and the sonic distance might fall even below 900y.

Which is not a knock on the 6 ARC at all. It's just a recognition that everything has limits.

The use case for the 6ARC (longer range paper punching and AR varminting) to me strongly suggests a 16" barrel. If you want shorter barrel performance/shorter range performance, I'd build a Grendel. A 130gr ELD-M at 2200 fps (doable in 12.5") will hit 1149 fps at 810 yards on the standard day.

And if you want to push higher sectional densities for very short range, the Grendel can go all the way up to a 156gr Lapua Mega bullet at ~1900fps, which is a Blackout-Crushing load in the sense that it is comparable sectional density as a 220gr subsonic 300BO, but at 1900fps instead of subsonic speeds. Again, not a knock on 300BO and sonic vs subsonic isn't really apples/apples.

Just pointing out that a short barrel Grendel has some particular attributes that favor short range use better than it generally gets credit for. The 6.5G is usually marketed as baby 6.5cm and guys are building comically long ARs trying to make it do what it just can't.

But drop it in to an SBR and some magic happens when you start to compare it to 300BO and x39 out of an AK.

I think the era of hyper-specialization is upon us, a product of the embarrassing riches of options we now have. Which means there is a place for both the 6.5G and the 6 ARC to coexist. For much of what the 6.5G was taken to be (a long range AR cartridge) the ARC is superior and will displace much 6.5G in that role. Which means the future of 6.5G depends a lot on people realizing its virtues as a shorter range do-all caliber. Compare a 12.5" Grendel with a 129g Scenar or 130 ELD you'll see that almost nothing a 300BO or x39 or similar can touch it in terms of energy and external ballistics from the short barrel.

Sorry so long.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Because I want to launch roughly 100 gr bullets, and from a 12.5” barrel I’d get roughly the same velocity as a Grendel but with greater BC, maybe. The goal being maximum range with an impact velocity above 2,200fps, for flattening critters. I don’t prefer longer barrels because suppressor. I’ll probably keep shooting my Grendel for now, but if this thing really has any military acceptance, like they claim, it may be a better choice in the future.

6.8 SPC does not enter into my consideration in comparison to the ARC. Opposite approach. I’m sure its cool and all.
    You can't really compare identical weight bullets in different calibers. 100gr in 6.5 is a varmint weight bullet with high speed and poor BC and near frangibility. IN 6mm, the comparable varmint bullets are 60gr and less. What you want to compare is the "best" load in each chambering for an intended use.

If you compare load data and field experience of a 6.5G in a short barrel to a 6 ARC in the same short barrel, identical 100gr bullet weights will give the Grendel an appreciable speed advantage at the muzzle. Which pretty quickly disappears due to the BC disadvantage of the 6.5G.

As always, it comes down to what you want to do. Mission drives gear.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohn View Post
    100gr in 6.5 is a varmint weight bullet with high speed and poor BC and near frangibility.
    That's not universal. 100gr Lapua Scenar, 100gr Wolf FMJ, 100gr Barnes TTSX, 100gr Nosler Partition, etc.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    That's not universal. 100gr Lapua Scenar, 100gr Wolf FMJ, 100gr Barnes TTSX, 100gr Nosler Partition, etc.
    Yes, TTSX is what I would be looking for.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hodgdonreloading.com has 6 ARC data now on the website. Lots of powders listed and bullets from 58 to 110 grains.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Note that the Hodgdon data is a 24” test bbl while the Hornady data is 18” actual rifle.

The Hornady bolt gun data shows it to be nipping at the heels of a 6 Dasher. That is pretty remarkable. Compare the Hornady 108 bolt data to what the PRS guys are getting from a dasher in a 26-28” tube using the ubiquitous Berger 105 hybrid.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohn View Post
    Note that the Hodgdon data is a 24” test bbl while the Hornady data is 18” actual rifle.

The Hornady bolt gun data shows it to be nipping at the heels of a 6 Dasher. That is pretty remarkable. Compare the Hornady 108 bolt data to what the PRS guys are getting from a dasher in a 26-28” tube using the ubiquitous Berger 105 hybrid.
    I'd have preferred Hodgdon’s data was from something a bit more realistic. I doubt few rifles will be built with 24" barrels.

Still, it is nice to see additional data with some other powders, etc.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If anyone is wanting a fairly light profile; Aim Surplus has the Faxon Gunner in stock:

https://aimsurplus.com/faxon-16in-6m...e-ar15-barrel/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    If anyone is wanting a fairly light profile; Aim Surplus has the Faxon Gunner in stock:

https://aimsurplus.com/faxon-16in-6m...e-ar15-barrel/

...was in stock. Was.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    ...was in stock. Was.
    Sorry.

Faxon has what appears to be the same barrel in a post on their fake book page. Says will be back in stock this spring.

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast