Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: 6mm ARC: Has Hornady Struck Gold?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Creek View Post
    I just received a Sanders Armory complete upper with a 20" 5R 1 in 7.85 twist. UPS should deliver my Hornady TAP 106 grain ammo later today. What do you think of the 6ARC and the Sanders Armory barrel now? I do plan to handload. I got a deal on the TAP ammo.
    I shot mine today with the TAP ammo. the average velocity was 2661 with SD of 10.8 and ES 33 at 10'.

Feedback Score
    Silly question, but if you take the Sig Fury type case, what would that do for the 6ARC? A couple hundred FPS more?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Silly question, but if you take the Sig Fury type case, what would that do for the 6ARC? A couple hundred FPS more?
    It would push the round into a large frame gun, which defeats the purpose. It is also a low pressure cartridge at 52k psi.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drtywk View Post
    It would push the round into a large frame gun, which defeats the purpose. It is also a low pressure cartridge at 52k psi.
    I think what's he's saying is applying hybrid case technology to the existing 6arc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    I think what's he's saying is applying hybrid case technology to the existing 6arc.
    The challenge then becomes chamber pressure and magazine compatibility/reliability. The round is built around 52k psi for gas guns. Yes you can push that higher in a bolt gun, but the sweet spot for gas guns is 52k psi.

As it stands right now, the most issues with 6ARC have come from magazines. Yes there are 6ARC specific mags, but none of them have the reliability of, say, a PMag or a 20/30rnd steel/aluminum mag. The biggest reason for this is the geometry found in the AR magwell and magazines area not optimized for wildcat type cartridges. The 20rnd 6.5 Grendel Duramag, in my, and a few other people I trust's, opinion is probably the most reliable magazine when shooting 6ARC. 20 rounds is also the most I would load in a mag, due to the stack, stack height and curvature of AR mags. This is the biggest reason why I only run 15 and 20 round mags.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The 20rnd 6.5 Grendel Duramag, in my, and a few other people I trust's, opinion is probably the most reliable magazine when shooting 6ARC. 20 rounds is also the most I would load in a mag, due to the stack, stack height and curvature of AR mags. This is the biggest reason why I only run 15 and 20 round mags.
    You have tried and rejected the 25 round 6.5G Duramag?

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    You have tried and rejected the 25 round 6.5G Duramag?
    I only run the 20 round Duramags and ASC 15 rounders. I have shot the 25 round ASC and 24 round E-Lander mags and had some FTF and other performance issues. I really prefer 15 and 20 round mags.

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The round is built around 52k psi for gas guns. Yes you can push that higher in a bolt gun, but the sweet spot for gas guns is 52k psi.
    To be precise, the pressure limit is based on the strength of an AR-15 bolt opened up for a larger case diameter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Helluva time to introduce a new caliber!
    Yeah right when they did, the place I was working lost tons of business and my job was cut. Now finally after two years of catching up with my new job I have my CMMG 20" upper on the way. I cut way way back to almost no shooting at all because of that and the primer shortage.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'll continue the conversation here. I'm liking this round. My 9 year old son took his first dear with the 6 ARC (103 ELD-X) at 110 yds. We were not able to recover the bullet as it went through both lungs and exited. The bullet caused significant damage to the vitals as the doe took two steps and dropped. We have also shot the 6 ARC (108 ELD-Ms) out to 1200 yards. My 18" MSR gets 2540 fps, which at 6000' elevation where I live, this round does well.

Not totally a fair comparison, but the 6 ARC is neck and neck with the 140 grain Underwood ammo I shoot in my 6.5 CM Sig Cross. This factory load is loaded with Nosler bullets. Both rifles (Cross & MSR) way about the same with similar accuracy. The 6 ARC beats this configuration of 6.5 CM in drop all the way out to 1200 and doesn't lack too far behind in energy. My son can also ping steel at 1200 fairly easy (14.2 mils at 6000' elevation) where we shoot at Cheyenne Mountain shooting complex. The Cross, 18" 6.5CM takes 15.1 mils to get to the same distance. Additionally, at 1200, the 6.5 CM only as around 70 foot pound more energy. At 600, the 6.5CM only has 160 more foot pound of energy. If someone is looking to build, haul and hunt with a compact rifle, the 6 ARC is a good option for white tail and recreation shooting, etc.

Lastly, I've been trying to get my son familiar with the MSR since the collapsible stock allows us to shoot the same rifle easily. Plus, he is learning to handload, and I'm saving a few cents in reloading the 6 ARC vs 6.5 CM. The reduced recoil, ergonomics, accuracy and lightweight makes for a good option for a hunting rifle for a youth.

Living at 6000' helps with some of the velocity woes others have expressed, but for an MSR, this is a great round.

BC
    Last edited by Bellycrawl; 01-31-23 at 13:54.

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast