Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: 6mm ARC: Has Hornady Struck Gold?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellycrawl View Post
    So, I was looking for a hunting round, which we hunt with, and I also use it for shooting extended ranges, which for me is 1200 yds.
    That’s what I said. Something you can hunt with and do long range target shooting. But it just doesn’t have the power to be a good long range hunting round. 6ARC will fit right in with the 6.X’s as great reasonable range hunting rounds, in an AR with collapsible stock I think they are ideal for youth.

Sure some will argue hunting can include varmint, but it’s usually specifically called varmint hunting.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    That’s what I said. Something you can hunt with and do long range target shooting. But it just doesn’t have the power to be a good long range hunting round. 6ARC will fit right in with the 6.X’s as great reasonable range hunting rounds, in an AR with collapsible stock I think they are ideal for youth.

Sure some will argue hunting can include varmint, but it’s usually specifically called varmint hunting.
    Definitely a miscommunication in my writing. We don't hunt long range. We shoot steel at the 1200 yd range = shooting range. The longest we've hunted with the little 6mm is 110 yds. I'm sure the 6 ARC can do some damage out further with larger animals than varmints, but no solid practice with a 9 year old or desire at this time.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    6mm ARC: Has Hornady Struck Gold?

No. A good idea, but like many 'good idea' cartridges, there are other variables that influence a cartridge's long-term success besides being a good idea and having good ballistics.

Some factors that will slow adoption:
    * .Mil chose another cartridge for new "overmatch" rifles. So there's no built-in big gov contract option to drive manufacturing capacity and mass production of ammo.
    * 6.5 Grendel, .300 Blk, and similar options that complement plain old 5.56 for different uses (short barrel suppressed, hunting, extended range shooting, etc), already exist. These work well, 6.5G already has very similar ballistics, and both calibers have wider adoption. There are more rifles/uppers/barrels/parts/factory loads to choose from.

I'm interested in 6mm ARC and think it was a good idea. If it starts to get wider adoption and surpasses say, 6.5G, I'll check it out. But due to the above, doubt it'll ever get much traction in the market.
    I agree with a lot of your points. Without a big mil contract to drive production, I think 6 ARC will probably remain a boutique round for the most part. Hopefully it doesn’t go the way of 6.8 SPC and die on the vine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    I agree with a lot of your points. Without a big mil contract to drive production, I think 6 ARC will probably remain a boutique round for the most part. Hopefully it doesn’t go the way of 6.8 SPC and die on the vine.
    The 6.8 is still being used by a lot of hog hunters in Texas and Florida, deer hunters throughout the south. According to the OEM manufacturer that makes the barrels for Wilson Combat, Bison and ARP they are still making about 500 barrels a week. The 6.8 is not claimed by any manufacturer so there isn't anyone paying for advertising or magazine articles, the only one I have seen is on the Military Arms Channel 5 days ago. For the last 3 years(since Covid) there has not been enough ammo or brass on the market to meet the demand but just a few months ago they started to catch up and it can be found in a few places.

Feedback Score
    I’m honestly getting tired of the 6mm popularity/over abundance. These rounds are great for killing paper but I’m much more interested in stuff that has real energy for taking out real targets at range. Real calibers start at 7mm if you intend on taking any decent size game. Need more .30 cal love in my opinion with modern cartridge designs.
    Last edited by graffex; 03-07-23 at 20:38.

Feedback Score
    From WOA website-
    UPDATE: We have no plans to introduce a 6mm ARC barrel.

ORIGINAL POST: We have been getting a lot of calls and e-mails in the last week or so asking if we are chambering barrels for the new Hornady 6mm ARC. While we have not yet made a decision about 6mm ARC we are quite familiar with the various 6mm cartridges that are designed to work through the AR-15 platform and the limitations and advantages of most of them. The idea of a 6mm cartridge with a case capacity in the 27-30 gr range out of the AR-15 is a great idea with a ton of versatility. You can shoot anything from a light varmint bullet at well over 3400 FPS for varmints to a long 108 or 107 at 2700 for long range target work, or a 87-95 for an effective hunting round with the accuracy and terminal performance to take medium game out to 500 yards. (Sorry, but while you may be able to hit one at much longer ranges, you will not have the terminal velocity for effective bullet performance and good kills past that range.)

Many such cartridges have been developed. Most based on either the 6.8 SPC case with it’s .420 head diameter or the 7.62x39 case with a .440 head size. Hornady chose to go with the larger .440 head size for the 6mm ARC cartridge.

We have built many rifles in various wildcat cartridges on the .440 head size case, as well as the .264 LBC. What we found is that they just do not give the reliability and longevity that we as target shooters need at the pressures that we typically shoot. In the crucible of competitive highpower shooting, where we tend to tip the powder can to the limit of what the case will hold, they did just not hold up. Other gunsmiths built them and had success with them, but lug set-back and breakage was at a level that I was personally uncomfortable with. At that time I made the decision to not chamber for the .440 head size cartridges. In addition, I feel there are other cartridges that are better for the specific demands of the across the course match rifle shooter.

Hornady confirmed by my feelings by limiting the new cartridge to 52,000 PSI max pressure. At that pressure bolts and barrel extensions should last a long time. Start tipping the powder can and all bets are off. If you are one to add powder until primers fall out then back off slightly, don’t expect to keep all the lugs on your bolt if you shoot a lot.

I will have to be convinced that the reliability and longevity are there before we start selling them to our customers. We will keep you informed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by graffex View Post
    I’m honestly getting tired of the 6mm popularity…
    Need more .30 cal love in my opinion with modern cartridge designs.
    Have you heard of the 7.62x39 or 300 BLK? Perhaps the 300 HAMR?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Have you heard of the 7.62x39 or 300 BLK? Perhaps the 300 HAMR?
    Those were the three that came to my mind for a 30cal AR-15.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by graffex View Post
    I’m honestly getting tired of the 6mm popularity/over abundance. These rounds are great for killing paper but I’m much more interested in stuff that has real energy for taking out real targets at range. Real calibers start at 7mm if you intend on taking any decent size game.
    Are you talking about using bolt guns? I think this conversation mostly revolves around calibers you can fit in a semi-auto gas gun, so not sure calibers 7mm and up are going to fit well in that context. I understand your point though, as I've been hunting long range big game for over two decades here in Utah, and have used everything from small 6x47 Lapua to 300PRC to take big game animals (mainly bolt guns), and it's hard to beat the energy on target from magnums at long range. That being said, we've killed deer with 6mm out to 600 yards, one shot kills, and killed elk out to 800 yards with 6.5 creed.

For a gas gun specifically, i've found a 20" 6.5 creedmoor to be my preferred semi auto for big game, as it's more accurate than .308, and still maintains over 1,000ft/lbs of energy out to 800 yards (140gr bullets). Wouldn't be my first choice, but doable.
    Last edited by B Cart; 03-08-23 at 14:39.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I guess I was rambling more along the lines of bolt guns. It was late and I didn’t pay attention to what sub forum I’m in . It be nice to see BCM make a damn ar10/6.5 creedmore I’d be all over one.
    Last edited by graffex; 03-09-23 at 06:36.

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast