Thread: 5.45 mm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

5.45 mm

I shot a lot of 5.45 mm in Smith and Wesson uppers back in the day. Alas, they are all worn out. I still have some 5.45 and need something to shoot it out of. I am thinking of a Galil.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Check with Deadshot barrels and Model 1 Sales for a re-barrel. I’m of the curious type…did you roach them through round count, or rust?

Vicious CB has much more experience than I with 5.45 AR stuff. I’m fortunate enough to have an AK to pour that shit through.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Check with Deadshot barrels and Model 1 Sales for a re-barrel. I’m of the curious type…did you roach them through round count, or rust?

Vicious CB has much more experience than I with 5.45 AR stuff. I’m fortunate enough to have an AK to pour that shit through.
    Well golly gee 1168. I have looked and looked over the years for 5.45mm AR barrels, I was familiar with Model 1 but they never had stock, now they do or so says the web site. I never heard of Deadshot but it seems they have barrels too, I will call both of them tomorrow, and many thanks.

The barrels I have used up, I wore them out by shooting them, the S&W barrels were good for about 10K shots then they started keyholing bullets. I have one new and one half shot out left and they have gotten scarce nigh unto non-existent on Gun Broker. I have been reading up on the Galil and I think I need one anyway. Again thanks for the help.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    Well golly gee 1168. I have looked and looked over the years for 5.45mm AR barrels, I was familiar with Model 1 but they never had stock, now they do or so says the web site. I never heard of Deadshot but it seems they have barrels too, I will call both of them tomorrow, and many thanks.

The barrels I have used up, I wore them out by shooting them, the S&W barrels were good for about 10K shots then they started keyholing bullets. I have one new and one half shot out left and they have gotten scarce nigh unto non-existent on Gun Broker. I have been reading up on the Galil and I think I need one anyway. Again thanks for the help.
    Your barrel life jives with what Ive experienced which is a S&W 5.45 barrel would last somewhere between 10-11 spams cans of 7n6 before keyholing, confirmed with 2 barrels that had just about the same lifespan.

Honestly depending on how much 5.45 you have, like for example having 10k+ of 5.45 stacked away, its not worth getting an entirely new 5.45 platform since Wolf or Silver Bear 5.45 is pretty much the same price of .223 Steel Cased with no need to clean out the corrosive salts and ammo commonality.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    Robinson Arms XCR can be bought chambered in 5.45x39

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Last I knew M&A Parts had uppers or barrels for this and Green Mountain had barrel blanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Robinson Arms XCR can be bought chambered in 5.45x39
    Wow, Robinson Arms, that is a blast from the past! I have an XCR and ordered two barrels four or five years ago, they promised barrels in a few months. Two years went by with no word from them then a surprise email, they were ready to proceed. I pain and got the barrels a few weeks later but both malfunctioned. I called and emailed but no response. I packed up the barrels and returned them and Robinson accepted the shipment but still no response. I disputed the charge with my CC company and they did not respond to the dispute so I won by default. What a mess but consistent with the wildly inconsistent customer service offered by Robinson. But anyway Pikey thanks for the suggestion. I think the design of the XCR is brilliant but I just can't make myself put myself at their mercy again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Last I knew M&A Parts had uppers or barrels for this and Green Mountain had barrel blanks.
    Both seem to be out of stock now but thank you both for your time and attention.

I bought a Galil Ace, a very impressive design and an new experience for an AR guy like me, this gun is very AK like but I like it.
    I also got two very heavy 24 inch stainless barrels from Model !, the last they had, putting a long heavy bull barrel on a M4 is going to be kind of stupid but I will do it out of necessity and if I don't like it I have a lathe I can turn the profile down with not too much effort. I think between the Model 1 barrels, the Galil and the remaining S&W uppers I have I should have plenty to get me through my stash of Russian ammo.