Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: 6mm ARC: Has Hornady Struck Gold?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    The velocities listed are low but maybe the charge weights are on the conservative side.
    Seem reasonable for 18" barrel no?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Seem reasonable for 18" barrel no?

Absolutely, most numbers you see are from 24" test barrels not 18" gas guns.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Absolutely, most numbers you see are from 24" test barrels not 18" gas guns.
    It isn't an absolute.

I have been reading about this cartridge since it came out and there are several handloaders who claim 2600+ FPS with 105 class bullets out of an 18" barrel. Maybe they are hot loads or there is always the internet 5% bonus adder

The chart that someone posted on snipershide shows 108 grain ELD right at 2600 with an 18" barrel.
    https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...8/post-8776549

Reading the results of a few 18" shooters, factory loadings with 105 class bullets are just under 2600.

That is what gave me the impression that the listed velocities were on the low side.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It isn't an absolute.

I have been reading about this cartridge since it came out and there are several handloaders who claim 2600+ FPS with 105 class bullets out of an 18" barrel. Maybe they are hot loads or there is always the internet 5% bonus adder

The chart that someone posted on snipershide shows 108 grain ELD right at 2600 with an 18" barrel.
    https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...8/post-8776549

Reading the results of a few 18" shooters, factory loadings with 105 class bullets are just under 2600.

That is what gave me the impression that the listed velocities were on the low side.
    Hornady shows an 18" barrel for gas gun data. This can be found on the web or in the latest Hornady manual.

The highest published velocities with 108-110 grain bullets are showing 2,575 fps with just two powders. Both of these loads should translate to 2,740 fps from a 24" barrel and 2,505 fps from a 16" barrel.

One thing of note is that the Berger data I posted above is lower than data shown elsewhere. Hornady and Hodgdon for example. Is this a case of Berger being more conservative or is it because the Berger bullets are slightly longer than most everything else and take up a bit more case volume?

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

One thing of note is that the Berger data I posted above is lower than data shown elsewhere. Hornady and Hodgdon for example. Is this a case of Berger being more conservative or is it because the Berger bullets are slightly longer than most everything else and take up a bit more case volume?
    Which is why I asked the question

I was wondering why the Berger data was on the low side. My guess is that either the bearing surface is a little higher on their bullets so they need to watch pressure or they are being conservative.

If I wanted big and slow, I would go back to 308 or maybe try the 6.5G. I like velocity and shoot the 6mm but with something that will give me 2900+ FPS with a 105. A bullet with a .270 G7 at 2600 is decent, kind of midway between my 223 and 6X47L, but I can't shoot the X47 in a small frame AR.

Velocity affects BC. The numbers published are based on an average. I don't like to push things hard but a little bump up will sometimes do wonders for a bullet at long range.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Which is why I asked the question

I was wondering why the Berger data was on the low side. My guess is that either the bearing surface is a little higher on their bullets so they need to watch pressure or they are being conservative.

If I wanted big and slow, I would go back to 308 or maybe try the 6.5G. I like velocity and shoot the 6mm but with something that will give me 2900+ FPS with a 105. A bullet with a .270 G7 at 2600 is decent, kind of midway between my 223 and 6X47L, but I can't shoot the X47 in a small frame AR.

Velocity affects BC. The numbers published are based on an average. I don't like to push things hard but a little bump up will sometimes do wonders for a bullet at long range.
    Well, it sounds like the 6 ARC isn't for you. Fortunately there are plenty of other offerings out there. I'm sure you can find something that better meets your expectations/requirements.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Well, it sounds like the 6 ARC isn't for you. Fortunately there are plenty of other offerings out there. I'm sure you can find something that better meets your expectations/requirements.

I didn't intend to say I didn't want it, just that I don't want to be disappointed compared to what I already have.

I like the 6ARC, except that all the adopters are digging into the 6mm bullet inventory out there and making it difficult for me to find bullets for my current 6mm's

If I build one, I need to make sure that I get the barrel length right. All the data I am seeing makes me think a 20-22" DMR setup is probably enough to get the velocity node that I want without having to hammer the brass.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A bullet with a .270 G7 at 2600 is decent...
    Here is some info on velocity and barrel length from right from Hornady.

Feedback Score
    The velocities listed are low but maybe the charge weights are on the conservative side.
    The charge weights from Berger are very conservative. They sent me some data for 95vlds in 6arc that have similar charge weights to Hornady's 105gr "gas gun" data.

I grabbed some Berger 95gr VLD target bullets to try with Varget, N140, and AR Comp, but Data for anything other than Varget is non existent. I emailed Berger about load data for them and they got back to me in less than an hour. The 95 VLD @ 2850ish out of my 24" AR would be a pretty solid long range load. Especially if I could do it with a powder that is decently stable on temp changes.
    Last edited by IALoder; 05-21-22 at 13:47.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by akxx View Post
    Put together a 6ARC upper for a buddy this week. 22” Sanders Armory 5R barrel.

Out of the gate it is shooting both 105 Black and 108 Match at just under MOA, with a gritty milspec trigger. Only got it to 100yards so far

Velocity of Black is 2726 FPS, and Match (ELD-M) is 2705 FPS. He will be using it for whitetail hunting this week.
    I just received a Sanders Armory complete upper with a 20" 5R 1 in 7.85 twist. UPS should deliver my Hornady TAP 106 grain ammo later today. What do you think of the 6ARC and the Sanders Armory barrel now? I do plan to handload. I got a deal on the TAP ammo.

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast