Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 6mm ARC: Has Hornady Struck Gold?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm really surprised someone didn't develop this a long time ago. When the 22 Nosler came out, I wanted to try something similar. Take the 22 Nosler case, bump the shoulder back and open up the case mouth to accept a high BC 6mm bullet. I'm just not sure how well the Nosler brass holds up with the rebated rim. The nice part about the Nosler is you don't need to change the bolt.

Anyway, as a huge 6mm fan, I hope the 6 ARC does well.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    I'm really surprised someone didn't develop this a long time ago. When the 22 Nosler came out, I wanted to try something similar. Take the 22 Nosler case, bump the shoulder back and open up the case mouth to accept a high BC 6mm bullet. I'm just not sure how well the Nosler brass holds up with the rebated rim. The nice part about the Nosler is you don't need to change the bolt.

Anyway, as a huge 6mm fan, I hope the 6 ARC does well.
    6mm Grendel based wildcats have been around quite a while (as have 6mm variants of the SPC). This is just the first time a big player in the industry has put their weight behind one, and done the leg work to get the cartridge through SAAMI.

I agree it's nice to have Hornady pushing the cartridge, with all of the industry support they can bring to bear.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino11 View Post
    Maybe the cartridge redesign by setting the shoulder back and changing the angle of it was the fix for the problems the Grendel folks were having. My observation is this was only a problem early on in the Grendel platform and has not been an issue as of late.

I took on this project because I like the challenge... Snip.
    I'm all the things you'll be challenged by with 6 AR, magazine should be the least of your concerns.

The only legitimate magazine issues I've heard of as fact was in the 2007 to 2008 timeframe when C-products first started selling a Grendel mags on their own. And specifically not via Alexander arms.

Which was an improper feed lip angle issue easily corrected in the field, though only a few people ever experience. 12-13 years ago!

Myself and circle of friends have dozens of grendel magazines apiece and they all work, across a dozen or more rifles.

AA, Elander, Cprod, etc. Not an issue.

I've been actively shooting Grendel since about that time frame. Until the Elander mags became available I ordered C-products in many different batches. They all worked. About the only thing I noticed was occasionally in one rifle they wouldn't drop free. My brother liked that, so we swapped mags.

Every now and then you would hear about someone who had a rifle built by a smith not familiar with Grendel who had feed issues. I'm pretty consistently it boiled down to chamber reaming issues feed ramps etc. and nearly always someone trying to improve on the Grendel, but who had never shot Grendel before.

The other common issue was people not being used to reloading for the AR and having bullet seating depth issues. so a lot of "magazine problems" magically went away when they shot using factory ammunition and later dialed in their seating depth correctly.

Grendel does benefit from M4 feed ramps. Though my brother has one with rifle feed ramps that works just fine. I would assume 6AR would be very similar.

As mentioned earlier, I use Magpul 20 round 556 mags on the bench when shooting 5 shot groups, etc. The 30 works as well, up to being loaded past 10 rounds where it starts swelling due to the improper stacking due to the smaller interior dimensions.

Same for bolts, very early on there was a batch of Grendel bolts with improper heat treatment. They are not exotic now, grendel bolts are tried and proven. Even with the higher bolt thrust due to the larger cartridge base.

Literally thousands of people have built Grendels as their first AR with a wide range of barrels, $1,000 Kriegers to $50 Bear mountain.

They pretty much just work, Grendel is not picky. It was specifically designed to take both brass and steel case ammo and Bill Alexander literally expended millions of rounds in testing. My brother and I both shoot steel case Grendel by the case. Along with reloads. I started with and am still shooting 7.62 x39 IMI brass. But also have a good bit of Lapua now. And some wolf and some Hornady from shooting factory stuff. It's not picky!

I expect that if you have a barrel that's properly reamed to SAAMI spec and you your smith or yourself didn't try to mix too much magic pixie dust on it, it will work. (Magic pixie dust being things some smiths believe make ARs shoot better, and often lead to problems. ARs with good components don't need lapping, custom reamers, etc.

Don't get stupid on barrel nut torque. If you're worried read the archives here for the particular blue loctite that some use, including Bill Alexander.

If your build does not work, before you blame the mag have a Grendel shooter try it. I'll certainly offer to help out, I'll buy any of your bad elanders for five bucks a piece.

Feedback Score
    I'm in agreement with you, I foresee no mag issues. The only people saying the Grendel mag has issues are the folks writing magazine articles. All the people that I have had contact with say the same, no mag issues at all. But some folks just gotta find fault in everything. The DoD would never had contracted the rifle to put out in the field without extensive testing, and if their was a problem it would have been addressed.

As far as pixie dust... non for me. I will be installing the barrel just as it comes from Odin Works. The lapping that was done to it is part of the manufacturing process. I don't see any other reason to modify anything.

This barrel has a lot of bells and whistles right out of the box. Rifle +2 gas system, adjustable gas block, 1X7.5 twist, 5 R riffling, hand lapped, M4 feed ramps, 416 stainless steel, with a matched BCG, and a sub MOA guarantee.
    Last edited by Dino11; 07-21-20 at 17:59. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    I'm all the things you'll be challenged by with 6 AR, magazine should be the least of your concerns.
    Any experience with the PRI mags?

Feedback Score
    Rifle gas +2 on 18 in barrel?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Rifle gas +2 on 18 in barrel?
    Yes, Rifle +2 gas on an 18" barrel.

I'm sure it will be fine, Odin Works knows their stuff. They build some amazing barrels.https://www.odinworks.com/product_p/...-arc-2r-tg.htm
    Last edited by Dino11; 07-22-20 at 04:55. Reason: link

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by md66948 View Post
    This is exactly why I wanted one of these.

I can reload the round with match grade 105, 108 and 110 grain bullets for right around .35-.40 a round with the components I already have on hand. This is using the spent brass from factory loads. Ammo right now is a challenge to obtain, the stuff is made out of unobtainium.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another interesting DoD and Hornady development:

(Grand Island, Nebr.) — A specialized group from the U.S. Department of Defense has purchased an undisclosed amount of 300 Blackout 190 gr. Sub-X TAP ammunition from Hornady for close quarter operations.

Hornady 300 Blackout features a 190 gr. Sub-X (Subsonic eXpanding) bullet with patented Flex Tip technology, specifically designed to expand at subsonic velocities yet meet FBI protocol.
    This cartridge is loaded with a powder that is optimized to provide flash suppression, clean burning yet function in short barrel to carbine length rifles.

The 300 Blackout features proven Hornady bullets, specially selected cases, carefully matched powder and stringent quality control.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast