Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 6mm ARC: Has Hornady Struck Gold?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Saw this news this morning:

(Grand Island, Nebr.) — A specialized group from the U.S. Department of Defense has purchased an additional amount of 6mm ARC ammunition from Hornady for its multipurpose combat rifle program.

The 6mm ARC is a truly versatile cartridge that maximizes the potential of the AR-15 platform. This new cartridge delivers less felt recoil than larger short action based cartridges, yet takes full advantage of modern, heavy for caliber 6mm bullets that provide excellent accuracy and ballistic performance at extended range.
    The 6mm ARC delivers substantially better ballistics than the 5.56 NATO with similar recoil and yet delivers comparable ballistics to the venerable 308 Winchester with 30% less weight on both firearms platform and ammunition.

More information can be found at hornady.com/6mmARC.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    No wonder there is no commercially available 6ARC ammo available ANYWHERE!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It just pisses me off that I might have to buy another gun in another platform in two years. And stock pile a metric ass ton of ammo. Worried!

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hopefully other manufacturers get in on making ammo soon.

jpgm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpgm View Post
    Hopefully other manufacturers get in on making ammo soon.

jpgm
    Probably sooner rather than later. Or maybe Starline will introduce cases if nothing else.

I see RCBS and Lee are offering dies.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Myself and circle of friends have dozens of grendel magazines apiece and they all work, across a dozen or more rifles.

AA, Elander, Cprod, etc. Not an issue.
    This has been my experience shooting Grendel over the last year with a Precision Firearms upper. Zero mag issues, zero bolt issues.

The mags I have on hand: ASC (these are packaged by PF with their rifles), Elander, C-Products. I did check out the 65Grendel.com forums around the time I got my upper, seems all 3 of these mag brands are widely used and well thought of by most shooters. I haven't noticed any performance difference in these 3 brands, though I only have two of the ASC so not a large sample.

CPD are definitely worth checking out for those looking for a reliable mag to try as a starting point. LRRPF52 who's a member here, has been a long-time Grendel advocate, has gotten impressive results with his custom builds posted on this forum. And I've seen him recommend the CPD mags more than once, as in this thread.

I'll track the 6mm ARC with interest, though unless it reaches some kind of official adoption status and widespread civilian availability, it offers nothing new functionally that I'm not already getting from 6.5G. The use cases for civilian shooters to adopt 6mm ARC that were listed earlier in this thread: those are why I got 6.5G in the first place (better long-range ballistics in an AR-15 rifle, and the ability to hunt mid-sized game with an AR in my state), and it's doing outstanding for what I need. It seems to be slowly growing in adoption, with more companies manufacturing rifles and parts, and more ammunition manufacturers adding factory loads.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I wonder how well these are going to work. Also I wonder if a 20-25 round version is on the way.

https://www.amend2mags.com/Products/...round-magazine
    I'm interested in them too, but the 65Grendel guys are saying that they have a lower COAL than expected (2.260), which somewhat limits their usefulness. A lot of folks reload and some are finding it necessary to stick with other mags (CPD is one option), which don't have that issue.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...-Now-Available
    http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...d2-Mags/page12

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Dang! That is impressive for 300 yard groups on a new barrel. Were these factory or your loads? Still interested in your load development.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino11 View Post
    Range day was kind of a bust today because the long distant range was closed for a varmint shoot that you were only allowed to shoot lead bullets. so we had to go to the 300 yard range. I could not set up the chronograph because this range has a pretty steep slope for about 20' just ahead of the shooting bench. After putting 20 rounds down the barrel I cleaned it and zeroed the scope in @100 yards, only took two shots to zero. Then I moved out to 300 yards and the results were nothing less than spectacular. This barrel is not even broken in yet, and these were 105 grain factory loads. never did shoot any of the 108 grain. I'm very happy with the results, this one is a shooter and a keeper.

Attachment 63224

Attachment 63225

Attachment 63226

These were 7 shot groups and some of the shots went through other shot holes, very tight groups for a 300 yard target. I did not even have to adjust the dope moving out to 300 from a 100 yard zero, thats how flat this thing shoots.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anyone got any updates?

I was talking to a cop in the metro Phoenix area last week about carbines. The 6 ARC came up in passing. He said his SWAT team had recently done some training with SF dudes. They apparently have been using the ARC for awhile and have been pleased with it. They're running 10.5" guns for CQB and 14.5" for most everything else.

Last edited by Tokarev; 10-25-20 at 17:30.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast