Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 6mm ARC: Has Hornady Struck Gold?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    CMMG MKW in 6ARC if you want a stronger bolt. Hopefully CMMG opens the magwell back up to the original 7.62x39 size so someone can have room to make a reliable polymer mag.

I should clarify you’d need to put a 6ARC barrel on the 6.5 Grendel MKW.
    Hopefully they'll do this, or will at least sell the parts so guys can piece together their own. The MkW bolt is huge, and would really let you push the envelope on handloads.

It looks like the initial CMMG 6mm ARC guns are all AR15s, and not built on thier midsized MkW receivers. I think that must be about keeping cost down and being able to sell uppers that are compatible with standard AR lowers.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Pretty much when anybody starts in on the Creedmoor and refers to it as "Creedmore"....turn it to "OFF" and move on. Can't believe people still think it's a flash in the pan.
    Sorry for my spelling mistake. Could have sworn it was "more" but guess not.

And I never said it was a "flash in the pan" I said it was the flavor of the month. Let's give it another decade and see if it is still "all that," or another good cartridge that develops a niche following and that's about it. Personally, I don't see the appeal because I don't worry about putting holes in paper at 600+, and if I wanted to hit something that far, I'd be just as worried about terminal ballistics as with making contact. From what I've read, it is massively behind .308 in that department. Happy to learn though, so if I'm wrong, I'd love to find out.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My purely non-professional opinion is to wait until the DOD adopts something to replace the 5.56 NATO.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    Sorry for my spelling mistake. Could have sworn it was "more" but guess not.

And I never said it was a "flash in the pan" I said it was the flavor of the month. Let's give it another decade and see if it is still "all that," or another good cartridge that develops a niche following and that's about it. Personally, I don't see the appeal because I don't worry about putting holes in paper at 600+, and if I wanted to hit something that far, I'd be just as worried about terminal ballistics as with making contact. From what I've read, it is massively behind .308 in that department. Happy to learn though, so if I'm wrong, I'd love to find out.

Yeah, somehow I doubt that last part...

The margins for terminal performance are not that wide as you say and as distance increases, the margins narrow further. I can think of one exception of a wide variance in weight retention but it's with a company known for questionable data and it's a bullet that shouldn't be used for terminal effect in the first place.

The answer is push the better bullet. The first problem is always connecting to the target. A miss with a marginally terminally better projectile is a terminal effect of ZERO. And even with 308 bullet selection is critical and the better performing rounds are at the expense of external performance. If you're doing an apples-to-apples say in a TTSX Barnes, one still gets more forgiveness with their shooting solution. I'll happily take a better BC for the money any day.

Also what's the context?
    We talking humane precision hunting/animal harvesting
    Military?
    LE?
    (all rhetorical)

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I first heard about this last night from my Stepfather, he was very excited about it. He thinks it might be the next big thing to go after the AR10 platform.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Here's my dilemma. I love the AR-15, but that love doesn't translate to the AR-10. The latter is fine for prone or bench shooting on a square range, but it's too much bulk everywhere else. So what to do if you want something that's both precise and effective out to say, 500 yards? Something that has the legs to occasionally stretch it to 800 or a thousand, but works everywhere else too? That makes it a conundrum.

Obviously I'm not the only one who feels this way, or we wouldn't have 6.5G, 6.8SPC, .224V, etc. I've settled on a .300BLK pistol with supers for close, 14.5" 5.56 for general use and 16" 6.8 for hunting or added punch. Yet I was still considering an unwanted AR-10 in 6.5CM or .243 to reach farther with a gas gun, knowing good and well it wouldn't make me completely happy.

This might, so I'm pumping the brakes until we see what happens with it.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Why not a 6.0 SPC?

I'm pretty sure the goal is to bankrupt all AR owners, forcing them to pawn their AR collection, caused by buying every imaginable caliber upper on the good ol' Visa.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterinflorida View Post
    Why not a 6.0 SPC?

I'm pretty sure the goal is to bankrupt all AR owners, forcing them to pawn their AR collection, caused by buying every imaginable caliber upper on the good ol' Visa.
    Because .224 SPC isn't working out so well...
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    I really want to get this because I think its a fantastic little cartridge.
    Valkyrie was a disappointment with too much confusion about twist rates and reamers. The release was bungled from the start.
    Hornady has this stuff down pat-when they release a new cartridge they have the whole industry behind it.
    I think the cartridge will do very well but for me its get a new cartridge OR buy more Grendel.
    New brass/dies/powder/bullets vs more of what I already have plus cheap plinking ammo from wolf that honestly doesn't shoot too badly.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)

6mm ARC: Has Hornady Struck Gold?

Quote Originally Posted by peterinflorida View Post
    Why not a 6.0 SPC?

I’d prefer the 6.0 SPC. That wildcat is called TAC6 over on the 6.8forums. It shows consistent results, higher velocity, and built from a better case. That’s the direction I wish hornady went with this.

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast