Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: 6mm ARC: Has Hornady Struck Gold?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    From what I've read, one of the things that was important for 6mm arc was low recoil for fast follow up shots in combat.

Not really the same objective as in a hunting scenario where there are different requirements.

I've never shot 6.8SPC but my understand is it kicks a bit more. Definitely on paper the free recoil energy is significantly more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    From what I've read, one of the things that was important for 6mm arc was low recoil for fast follow up shots in combat.

Not really the same objective as in a hunting scenario where there are different requirements.

I've never shot 6.8SPC but my understand is it kicks a bit more. Definitely on paper the free recoil energy is significantly more.

It depends on the weight of the bullet and velocity but the 6mmARC case diameter is larger than the 6.8 and the thrust put on the bolt is higher figured by PSI x area.
    I heard the military has already dropped testing of the ARC due to concerns about bolt strength.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post

If someone is eliminating feral hogs, follow up shots are a need.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by something View Post
    If someone is eliminating feral hogs, follow up shots are a need.
    Good point, for sure.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    It depends on the weight of the bullet and velocity but the 6mmARC case diameter is larger than the 6.8 and the thrust put on the bolt is higher figured by PSI x area.
    I heard the military has already dropped testing of the ARC due to concerns about bolt strength.
    I could certainly imagine that being the case (no pun intended).

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    Thanks for the interesting info. I wonder if this could have anything to do with the seemingly very slow release of the GFR (Geissele Fighting Rifle)...?

-Rainman

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Starline is posting 6 ARC brass. Nobody seems to have it in stock so it is either not shipping yet or I'm late to the party and it has already sold out everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    6mm ARC is going to face an uphill battle due to the military not using it, and the lack of affordable ammo. Then again, that is the same battle 300BLK fought, and it seemed to work out nicely. Its going to be another few years until we see how it does. 6.5 Creedmore is another one that I'm waiting to see if the ammo companies embrace at a realistic level. I think they are getting close.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    6mm ARC is going to face an uphill battle due to the military not using it, and the lack of affordable ammo. Then again, that is the same battle 300BLK fought, and it seemed to work out nicely. Its going to be another few years until we see how it does. 6.5 Creedmore is another one that I'm waiting to see if the ammo companies embrace at a realistic level. I think they are getting close.
    Hornady says the cartridge was developed for the Army. Whichever unit came to Hornady with a request for a cartridge that had a trajectory similar to 308 M118LR but would fit into an AR15.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Hornady says the cartridge was developed for the Army. Whichever unit came to Hornady with a request for a cartridge that had a trajectory similar to 308 M118LR but would fit into an AR15.
    Good info, thanks!
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast