Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: 6mm ARC: Has Hornady Struck Gold?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrflyer View Post
    I’m with you, Grendel mags may be ok hunting or on a one way range, but the current offerings are at best so-so. I was hoping Barrett would offer mags since they were the first gunmaker for this cartridge.
    The Hornady guys say they've really had no problem with mags.

[Youtube]https://youtu.be/jdiFmouGXWc[/YouTube]

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 07-06-20 at 18:34.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Did you expect Hornady to say, “well we had some feeding issues, but we are going to provide it to SOF anyway”?? I’m looking at the reviews for the E-lander 24rd mag, widely regarded the best Grendel mag. Take a look at how many talk about binding, etc. When have you used a quality 5.56 mag and had binding??.
    https://www.larue.com/products/e-lan...e/#reviews-tab
    Last edited by dlrflyer; 07-06-20 at 18:58. Reason: Added Larue reviews

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Did you expect Hornady to say, “well we had some feeding issues, but we are going to provide it to SOF anyway”??
    Maybe it is BS. Maybe not.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I must need to look harder...I haven’t found anything showing more teething issues than 300BLK/224Valk...especially the later.
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    I've read and watched about everything i can on the 6mm arc.

It's the .224 valkyrie and .300 blackout all over again but with more inherent problems than both combined. Plus suboptimal performance when used for anything outside of it's specific niche.

No thank you.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The Hornady guys say they've really had no problem with mags.
    To me grendel mag issues are a myth. Myself, brother, and friends just have too many of them and never had an issue.

Instead I suspect the boltgun accuracy guys trying grendel for paper and building franken guns in search of accuracy. Without knowing much about ARs.

Where my grendels without magic smith pixie dust feed from pmags. Just proper m4 feedramps, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    To me grendel mag issues are a myth. Myself, brother, and friends just have too many of them and never had an issue.

Instead I suspect the boltgun accuracy guys trying grendel for paper and building franken guns in search of accuracy. Without knowing much about ARs.

Where my grendels without magic smith pixie dust feed from pmags. Just proper m4 feedramps, etc.
    How many grendel cartridges can you stuff in a 5.56 pmag before the sides bulge to the point the mags have to be hammered into the receiver? I'm sure you can get 5 in there to shoot off the bench.
    Last edited by constructor; 07-11-20 at 09:44.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    The 224V is fine, but it is a bunch of compromises. The case is a bit too small, it tries to shoot bullets in too wide a range of weights/lengths/shapes. Frankly, it seems that a 224Grendel with 95gr spears would be the best option. But it seems that someone had a few billion 6.8SPC cartridge capacity lines set up, so might as well make some lemon-aide. And then the 224V stumbled out of the gate. Seems that the 6ARC avoids the 224V original sins. For most people, it would have enough umph and range to make a decent rifle in a SA or a AR.

We'll see...
    The Valkyrie definitely left some horsepower on the table but only about 100fps. If they had blown out some of the taper like my Tac 6 and Tac 30(30 Herrett) and moved the should forward about .050 they could have gotten another 100fps out of it. My 5.56x42 wildcat will shoot a 80ELD at 3000 out of a 20" barrel. They should have concentrated on 75-90gr bullets.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Maybe it is BS. Maybe not.

Considering that the "DoD entity" using 6ARC has a standard rifle with a standard ammo loading, I'm guessing it wasn't all that hard to find a 6.5G mag that worked well. It's when you have infinite variations of rifles and ammo like you do in the civilian shooting market that mags become sort of an issue. That's why almost all info about Grendel mags is anecdotal -- what works for one fails for another, etc.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I’m looking at the reviews for the E-lander 24rd mag, widely regarded the best Grendel mag. Take a look at how many talk about binding, etc. When have you used a quality 5.56 mag and had binding??.
    https://www.larue.com/products/e-lan...e/#reviews-tab
    Ive never heard anyone say or regard the 24 round elanders as the best. Their 17 round mag works fine, but (IMO) the C Product defense mags are top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    How many grendel cartridges can you stuff in a 5.56 pmag before the sides bulge to the point the mags have to be hammered into the receiver? I'm sure you can get 5 in there to shoot off the bench.
    5 with no bulging. 10 with increasing bulging, but still seats and works. Beyond that, issues.

Feed angle is not optimal, but works in my grendels.

I just do it on the bench to save wear and tear on my grendel mags. Though the grendel mags are stainless body and quite tough.

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast