Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seasoning the Bolt Carrier?

Feedback Score

Seasoning the Bolt Carrier?

No, not salt and pepper, not Lawry’s, not tobasco...

I’m talking about treating the bolt carrier with lube to make it buttery smooth...

Just purchased a new BCM MCMR and my LGS (a big tactical guy), said a couple of “teams guys” he knows showed him a trick to seasoning the Bolt Carrier. They strip it down, remove the pin, bolt, etc. then put it into a small tin tray, cover it in your fave lube. then set it out into the sun for an entire day. The LGS owner said he’s done this with every Bolt Carrier since and had has insane results. Said it’s like a Teflon coating.. he equated it to seasoning an iron skillet, but impregnating the carrier with high end lube. Said his BCGs action like butter afterwards. And that it lasts for 20,000 rds.

Thoughts? Is this a thing? Go easy on me, I’m just getting back into ARs.

Feedback Score
    I just lube and shoot mine. They get smooth from cycling a few times.
    Dont know about seasoning but its unnecessary at the least.

Edit: its not going to hurt anything though.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 06-03-20 at 15:24.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trihonda View Post
    No, not salt and pepper, not Lawry’s, not tobasco...

I’m talking about treating the bolt carrier with lube to make it buttery smooth...

Just purchased a new BCM MCMR and my LGS (a big tactical guy), said a couple of “teams guys” he knows showed him a trick to seasoning the Bolt Carrier. They strip it down, remove the pin, bolt, etc. then put it into a small tin tray, cover it in your fave lube. then set it out into the sun for an entire day. The LGS owner said he’s done this with every Bolt Carrier since and had has insane results. Said it’s like a Teflon coating.. he equated it to seasoning an iron skillet, but impregnating the carrier with high end lube. Said his BCGs action like butter afterwards. And that it lasts for 20,000 rds.

Thoughts? Is this a thing? Go easy on me, I’m just getting back into ARs.
    Most modern firearms lubes are designed to do just what you described. Here is a snippet from one of the most used, Slip 2000 EWL:

Slip 2000 EWL has incorporated advanced technology additives to enhance film strength and anti-wear properties. Penetrating the pores and bonding its self to the surface of the metal through physical absorption reducing surface tension thereby reducing friction between moving parts and minimizing wear and the build-up of wear related debris.

Slip 2000 EWL will not dry out or attract dust or dirt particles like petroleum products. Even when surface is wiped dry to the touch Slip 2000 EWL is still present and lubricating the metal parts from within the pores of the weapon. This product does not require a liquid carrier to be present for protection. Slip 2000 EWL does not evaporate off because there are no carriers needed for continued protection

https://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_ewl.php
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Just lubricate it with a mil-spec CLP or a motor oil all around, or light grease on external contact surfaces & a cam pin. Cycle it a few times by hand and fire a few hundred rounds. No black magic, no special sauce. Carrier itself can easily last 40-50k rounds with normal lubrication, possibly more.

Certain surface finishes are nice like Nitride, IOB (black or BCM's FDE), but are not really necessary. I've tried a few of them just out of curiosity, but settled back on a regular Phosphate finish with a regular lube. Works fine.
    Last edited by alx01; 06-03-20 at 17:00.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    If this is a method that interests you then I would suggest that you also look at seasoning instructions for cast iron pans/skillets. Nothing sticks to my cast iron...

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the feedback. I’m going to give this a shot, and will maybe make a video of the effort and results...?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Lost me soon as I read "couple of team guys I know" and "lasts 20k rounds"

Seasoning a skillet in an oven at 400° is just a little hotter than sitting out in the sun.
    Last edited by Arik; 06-03-20 at 18:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Lost me soon as I read "couple of team guys I know" and "lasts 20k rounds"

Seasoning a skillet in an oven at 400° is just a little hotter than sitting out in the sun.
    Ya, I know exactly how that sounded... lol. Normally “teams” speak raises my douche-radar up a notch. But this LGS Owner is a super nice, and legit guy. He sells to (outfits) all the local LE agencies, shoots USPCA with me and holds his own, and actually is friends with a couple ex seals FWIW. He doesn’t normally brag about anything... When he said it, it didn’t sound nearly as douchey. Ha.

His 20k rounds comment was an error on my part, meant to type 2,000. And the LGS said he shoots 2k rounds through his “treated guns” before cleaning the BCG.

Feedback Score
    seasoning serves to treat the surface only. there aren’t any pores for the lube to get into. if your BCG was porous it wouldn’t be long before it failed. just use a good lube and shoot it.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Good God man, lube the crap out of it with Mobil 1 or whatever, throw it in upper and run it.

And be cautious of “ big tactical guys” that refer to their “team bro’s”, especially in gun shops.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast