Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Seasoning the Bolt Carrier?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trihonda View Post
    Ya, I know exactly how that sounded... lol. Normally “teams” speak raises my douche-radar up a notch. But this LGS Owner is a super nice, and legit guy. He sells to (outfits) all the local LE agencies, shoots USPCA with me and holds his own, and actually is friends with a couple ex seals FWIW. He doesn’t normally brag about anything... When he said it, it didn’t sound nearly as douchey. Ha.

His 20k rounds comment was an error on my part, meant to type 2,000. And the LGS said he shoots 2k rounds through his “treated guns” before cleaning the BCG.
    There's nothing wrong with doing it aside from waste of time and lube.

The 2k round doesn't mean anything. I hardly ever clean my rifles and I don't keep the bolts in oil.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    No, not salt and pepper, not Lawry’s, not tobasco...

I’m talking about treating the bolt carrier with lube to make it buttery smooth...

Just purchased a new BCM MCMR and my LGS (a big tactical guy), said a couple of “teams guys” he knows showed him a trick to seasoning the Bolt Carrier. They strip it down, remove the pin, bolt, etc. then put it into a small tin tray, cover it in your fave lube. then set it out into the sun for an entire day. The LGS owner said he’s done this with every Bolt Carrier since and had has insane results. Said it’s like a Teflon coating.. he equated it to seasoning an iron skillet, but impregnating the carrier with high end lube. Said his BCGs action like butter afterwards. And that it lasts for 20,000 rds.

Thoughts? Is this a thing? Go easy on me, I’m just getting back into ARs.
    Complete waste of time. Phosphate already holds a good amount of lube.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Lost me soon as I read "couple of team guys I know" and "lasts 20k rounds"

Seasoning a skillet in an oven at 400° is just a little hotter than sitting out in the sun.
    Yup. Team guys and 20k rounds on a standard bolt were both major BS flags. Not impossible, but unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I’m talking about treating the bolt carrier with lube to make it buttery smooth...

Just purchased a new BCM MCMR and my LGS (a big tactical guy), said a couple of “teams guys” he knows showed him a trick to seasoning the Bolt Carrier. They strip it down, remove the pin, bolt, etc. then put it into a small tin tray, cover it in your fave lube. then set it out into the sun for an entire day. The LGS owner said he’s done this with every Bolt Carrier since and had has insane results. Said it’s like a Teflon coating.. he equated it to seasoning an iron skillet, but impregnating the carrier with high end lube. Said his BCGs action like butter afterwards. And that it lasts for 20,000 rds.

Never seen any team guys do that. Just lube with clp and shoot. Granted I only spent 10 years in, but we never used anything other than clp and sure didnt bake them in the oven.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Sounds like phooey to me. If you should about 1000 rds thru your brand new AR the BCG will be buttery smooth. 👍

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chef8489 View Post
    Never seen any team guys do that. Just lube with clp and shoot. Granted I only spent 10 years in, but we never used anything other than clp and sure didnt bake them in the oven.
    Thanks. It was baking it in the sun, but I get the point. This is probably a waste of time, but it requires very little effort, so I might indulge my LGS guy and give it a try? Should be easy enough to tell if it works or not?

Feedback Score
    OK, update. I’m doing this. I’m also making a video of the process, and results. But for those advocating this is dumb because the BCG won’t absorb, I can tell you that I coated the BCG with two kinds of lubricant (Hoppes and Amsoil MP), and after 3 hours in the sun, the BCG was dry. I’ve reapplied oil, and will keep doing so periodically through the day.

Also, this isn’t a ton of effort, so if it ends up being dumb, oh well, I got to play with gun parts and gun oil, so no big loss...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Team guys? 20K rounds? Between this and their barrel advice in your other thread I'd definitely not listen to their "wisdom". https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...o-My-AR-Pistol

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Team guys? 20K rounds? Between this and their barrel advice in your other thread I'd definitely not listen to their "wisdom". https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...o-My-AR-Pistol
    I’m not saying you are wrong, but the lightweight barrel versus the heavier mill spec barrel debate was a decision I came to before discussing it with my local gun shop. When looking at their in stock items, I consulted with a few friends of mine and reviewed a few videos from chisel chest type tactical guys on YouTube. However the biggest weight I gave on this was from a very good friend of mine who spent 10 years as a full-time swat Operator for a large metropolitan police force. He’s also the guy who did research on their SBRs, ammunition, and has been a FA instructor for decades. This friend also owns several SBRs and said that in his experience that lighter weight barrels can sometimes develop accuracy issues once the barrel becomes overheated during rapidfire situations. This was qualified with the, “it’s not very likely to happen”, But with the recommendation it was better to go with the beefier barrel. I am sure the lightweight barrel from BCM is superb and more than adequate.

I’ve always felt that over the years I’ve known quite a bit about firearms, I’ve been shooting for 40 years, and have owned ARs for 30 years. I carry a handgun and use an AR daily at work, but my friend’s Gun credentials make me look like a kindergartner. I also know there is a ton of experience and knowledge here on this forum, and I don’t want to disrespect that as well. But don’t judge the local gun shop folks too harshly, because they simply agreed with me when I asked for the heavier barrel version.

As to the seasoning of the barrel, I’m Not sure how, but the oil IS absorbing in...? And like I said, you all could be right, and I’m wasting my time. But I’m having fun with it.
    Last edited by Trihonda; 06-04-20 at 12:23.

Feedback Score
    the oil you are baking on the BCG is evaporating, vaporizing, drying out from the heat. any that would be absorbed would be by the coating on the BCG. your bolt carrier group is not porous. do what you want to do. if it was me i’d lube and shoot as the recipe for success.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast