Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Seasoning the Bolt Carrier?

Feedback Score

This works on ALL my guns

Quote Originally Posted by Trihonda View Post
    No, not salt and pepper, not Lawry’s, not tobasco...

I’m talking about treating the bolt carrier with lube to make it buttery smooth...

Just purchased a new BCM MCMR and my LGS (a big tactical guy), said a couple of “teams guys” he knows showed him a trick to seasoning the Bolt Carrier. They strip it down, remove the pin, bolt, etc. then put it into a small tin tray, cover it in your fave lube. then set it out into the sun for an entire day. The LGS owner said he’s done this with every Bolt Carrier since and had has insane results. Said it’s like a Teflon coating.. he equated it to seasoning an iron skillet, but impregnating the carrier with high end lube. Said his BCGs action like butter afterwards. And that it lasts for 20,000 rds.

Thoughts? Is this a thing? Go easy on me, I’m just getting back into ARs.
    I'm no beliver in magic gun lube. Having used LSA LAW RBC CLP Sgt Maj, secret blend,10W30, you name it. One that I have found and it is approved for use on USN Sub force is Militech. Initial treatment is a little pricey BUY the long tern is cost effective. 15 years ago they sent FREE lube to war fighters. Follow the directions. CLEAN and DEGREASE. apply to ALL parts, metal and "plastic" put in black plastic bag in direct sun for temp curing. After that you will FEEL a difference. Gun will run smother, take high hot FA better, clean easier, rust protection in salt water better. All better than any other magic stuff I have tried. I took a box of 2 oz samples to range quals and as RO required field cleaning and lube with it, prior to shootin the hot sunny summer, just in holsters and long guns in racks in sun during safety and qual brief (about an hour with many just back from CJA requiring extra attention. All experienced shooter reported the guns "felt different, shot "smother" & better" Trigger pulls reported to feel smother. Same w/ ARs and MP5s. Tac team reported same. All reported cleaning was quicker.

All I can say is it is the best I have found.

Give it a try. Follow directions.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It’s a hat on a hat.

At least you’re using lube...some, oddly, treat it like an option...but it’s a weird way to develop the habit, when metal-on-metal contact should be reason enough.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    I used to hit my BCG pretty hard with synthetic CLP. If you don’t saturate it well it doesn’t have enough lube to transfer to the upper and ends up a bit dry. I moved to bio CLP which provides lube and also dissolves carbon at the same time. But ensuring you use enough lube is important. ARs run better with a liberal amount of lube. Seasoning would require a polymerizing oil and numerous thin coats and dehydration periods. Depending on the lube it could be counterproductive or beneficial. A metal surface treatment type lube would work. Frog Lube seasons with use as I believe Otis Bio CLP. Otis seems to stay wet longer than Frog Lube. So I’m leaning more towards Otis, but have been using Frog Lube Paste versus their CLP. I have Frog Lube Extreme but I use it only on my carry pistols. If you like a slick BCG try TR Enabling Obsidian coated BCG, had one for years and carbon doesn’t stick to it.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Seasoning is a process by polymerizing natural fat(oils; flax, olive, veg, etc) through reaching the smoke point for an extended period, this is gun store fudd nonsense.

Feedback Score
    Any good bcg will last 20000 rnds with proper maintenance.

I had heard the same thing 20 years ago with phosphate coated bcg’s. Phosphate has a rougher texture then newer coatings but I have not seen any testing to prove this theory.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by S197 View Post
    Any good bcg will last 20000 rnds with proper maintenance.

I had heard the same thing 20 years ago with phosphate coated bcg’s. Phosphate has a rougher texture then newer coatings but I have not seen any testing to prove this theory.
    Any BCG Phosphate or otherwise will last well over 20K rounds: I would guess 200K with component replacement as needed. The bolt will probably fail long before and the cam pin. I have seen a gas key self destruct and jam the whole thing in the upper. You will typically end up with a bolt that needs to be replaced and a gas key that needs replacing. And then a cam pin. I have never seen a carrier damaged so bad that it's serviceable: but anything is possible..

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Im going to one up you and start seasoning my barrels, slather them in canola oil and throw them into the oven at 200 degrees. I bet they'll be real good shooters after that.

Feedback Score
    I know your joking, but you don't want to bake barrels. Not sure on the max temp based on steel used but you would want to contact the manufacturer. I bake aluminum all the time at around 200 to coat it. but steel can be a fickle mistress. Some of the earlier stainless barrels had issues at -20 and I would guess if go much higher than 200ish F you will do some damage.

Feedback Score
    In his 5000rd durability tests, Rob Ski (AK 47-74 Operators Union) tries to keep barrels below 500 F to avoid metallurgical problems.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by t1tan View Post
    Seasoning is a process by polymerizing natural fat(oils; flax, olive, veg, etc) through reaching the smoke point for an extended period, this is gun store fudd nonsense.
    Yes and BS that froglube used to tell you to do which is where he may have gotten it.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast