Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hesco L210 vs steel plates - need help deciding on armor

Feedback Score

Hesco L210 vs steel plates - need help deciding on armor

I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice on what plates to buy. I am a civilian looking for the extra layer of protection should the need arise to protect my family. I am not working any kind of security and hope I am investing in products I never have to use. That said, I want to make sure I am buying the right gear for my needs. I expect to take my gear to the range every few weeks for some practice/training and other than that it will live in my reloading room. Other than an afternoon here or there after a trip to the range I do not expect it to spend any time living in a hot car trunk.

After a fair amount of research I really like the Hesco L210 plates, price is good, weight is good, ratings are good. I do not feel the need to stop 308 rounds, but M855 is common enough that facing green tips is a possibility, otherwise I would consider some of the UHMWPE type plates. Most everything about the L210 fits my criteria except two points. They are single curve instead of multi-curve and being ceramic they do have a shelf life.

Price wise I can find plates from AR500 that are multi-curve for similar prices, although I will have to include trauma pads. These plates are also rated for M855. The steel is a little heavier but will be able to pass along to my son.

All of that said, everyone says to get multi-curve. For someone like me who will wear them for an hour or two here and there and only in a survival situation, will multi-curve make a huge difference over single curve? Does the life span between ceramic and steel make a big difference? Even though it is only a few pounds and a good PC will distribute the weight, should I worry about the weight difference? I am really leaning towards the L210, but the singe vs multi curve has me the most concerned and the life span a distant second.

Feedback Score
    Depends on the carrier, but Multi/Triple curve is MUCH more comfortable worn over a longer period of time. Ceramic is far superior to steel, lifespan is not a serious factor for something that sees light use.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    The only time I’d recommend steel is when using it in training, other than that stay away from AR500, might as well fill your carrier with tannerite. The hesco’s are a good plate but not as comfortable as they’re single vs multi curve.

That being said if you want steel the AR600 stuff can handle a 5.56 out of a 20” barrel.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. I was leaning away from the steel but kind of needed the nudge to confirm my ideas. I like what I've seen of the Hesco products and really like the L210. I will spend some more time looking into multi cure ceramic or hybrids. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Has anyone dealt with Compass Armor from bodyarmour.shop ? They have a multi-curve ceramic hybrid level III+ that I am is interesting but I have not found much in the way of reviews on them. It looks like they are made in China which makes me leary, but it looks like htey have NIJ certs. I see products of theirs being sold to European and Asian police and defense.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ihocky2 View Post
    Has anyone dealt with Compass Armor from bodyarmour.shop ? They have a multi-curve ceramic hybrid level III+ that I am is interesting but I have not found much in the way of reviews on them. It looks like they are made in China which makes me leary, but it looks like htey have NIJ certs. I see products of theirs being sold to European and Asian police and defense.
    That sounds like a terrible idea. Stay away from steel and get something that is NIJ *CERTIFIED* and not just tested to NIJ standards. Also, buy USA. If you legitimately need body armor this is a no brainer. Body armor and good enough don’t go together. Hesco is GTG but the L210 does not carry a certification because it is a “special threat” plate. Multicurve plates are much more comfortable btw.
    Last edited by lahunter57; 06-05-20 at 08:43.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Double

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ihocky2 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I was leaning away from the steel but kind of needed the nudge to confirm my ideas. I like what I've seen of the Hesco products and really like the L210. I will spend some more time looking into multi cure ceramic or hybrids. Thank you.
    Might want to jump over to Primary and Secondary facebook pages for some additional insight as well. Lots of SME's have discussed on various posts their

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lahunter57 View Post
    That sounds like a terrible idea. Stay away from steel and get something that is NIJ *CERTIFIED* and not just tested to NIJ standards. Also, buy USA. If you legitimately need body armor this is a no brainer. Body armor and good enough don’t go together. Hesco is GTG but the L210 does not carry a certification because it is a “special threat” plate. Multicurve plates are much more comfortable btw.
    Thank you. The price seemed too good to be true which was the first thing that made me question the quality of the product. Once I researched them and found they were out of China made it even more questionable. I agree body armor is not something to risk going cheap on, just looking for the best bang for my buck.

Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    Might want to jump over to Primary and Secondary facebook pages for some additional insight as well. Lots of SME's have discussed on various posts their
    Thank you for the information, I will check them out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is there a reputable place to order L210's from? Every site says 4-6 weeks anticipated shipping.

Thats a long time for a potential shady company to hold your money and not deliver the product. Obviously the current climate doesn't help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast