I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice on what plates to buy. I am a civilian looking for the extra layer of protection should the need arise to protect my family. I am not working any kind of security and hope I am investing in products I never have to use. That said, I want to make sure I am buying the right gear for my needs. I expect to take my gear to the range every few weeks for some practice/training and other than that it will live in my reloading room. Other than an afternoon here or there after a trip to the range I do not expect it to spend any time living in a hot car trunk.

After a fair amount of research I really like the Hesco L210 plates, price is good, weight is good, ratings are good. I do not feel the need to stop 308 rounds, but M855 is common enough that facing green tips is a possibility, otherwise I would consider some of the UHMWPE type plates. Most everything about the L210 fits my criteria except two points. They are single curve instead of multi-curve and being ceramic they do have a shelf life.

Price wise I can find plates from AR500 that are multi-curve for similar prices, although I will have to include trauma pads. These plates are also rated for M855. The steel is a little heavier but will be able to pass along to my son.

All of that said, everyone says to get multi-curve. For someone like me who will wear them for an hour or two here and there and only in a survival situation, will multi-curve make a huge difference over single curve? Does the life span between ceramic and steel make a big difference? Even though it is only a few pounds and a good PC will distribute the weight, should I worry about the weight difference? I am really leaning towards the L210, but the singe vs multi curve has me the most concerned and the life span a distant second.