Quote Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
Hey guys, I have jaw pain on my left side that has lingered around long enough it's grown into an issue I need to work on. It hurts to chew, hurts to open my jaw past a certain point (eating a cheeseburger is tough), and I have a sore spot at the joint in front of my ear. Last couple days I started doing a few jaw exercises to see it would help alleviate the issue. The exercises have helped with the ROM, the pain is still present but in the ways of how it feels when you work out sore joints, with some sharp pain when I bite down, so I'm trying to take it easy. I'm hoping that exercises can fix the issue so I don't have to go in to a Dr.

While working on healing up, I've thought about how I got to this point in the first place. Stress is a contributor, which I'm under, no surprise on that one. Another is, I realize that I clench my jaw when I lift. I suspect it to be the bigger contributor. I've also caught myself in resting/relaxing positions clenching my jaws, which is a little disconcerting. Has anyone experienced similar? Does anyone have advice on how to correct that? I've seen mouth/teeth guards mentioned in the jaw pain/TMJ topic. Possible solution, least when lifting?

What should I consider in this position? Anyone had a similar issue they've worked through?
Funny you should mention this. I find my self of late clenching my jaw when concentrating on a task but it seems it has morphed into a habit at other times. I am now trying consciously to to break the habit. I think stress is also involved because of the virus and political news we are bombarded with daily. I don't believe I do it when sleeping.