Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint PRO or Scope

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    I love the size and clarity of the MRO but the parallax issue is real. I had one on the factory Trijicon absolute cowitness mount and when flipping up a Magpul MBUS Pro rear and shooting through it I was off a good 3” at 25yds.
    Can you better explain this? What were you using as the aiming point in these two situations?
    Last edited by grizzman; 06-06-20 at 22:15.

Feedback Score
    I guess if you never ask you never know and you boy's are teaching a old dog about RDS sights. I've noticed the tint when looking through Red Dots in the store and often wonder if it comes into play at the times of day when to light is waning. In using a lighted cross-bow scope at dark in the woods I've never been impressed and much prefer to keep the scope in the lowest setting or off. It sounds to me that more then a few of you have done your voting with your wallets so I take your opinions seriously and and am fast learning that I don't know @#$% about RDS's or Prism scopes!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have 2 PRO's, never had any problems. The battery life is years and while odd, batteries aren't prohibitively expensive.

Inside home defense a dot or even irons are fine. When you bumped it to 300 yards, as taekwondopreacher said, if you can see it, you can hit it. That's the catch and where an LPVO shines. If you haven't shot a 2 or 3 gun match with steel out to a couple hundred yards you really should try it. A target not painted to stand out can blend in a lot better than you may think before witnessing it first hand.

If the longer range is a concern I would lean towards an LPVO, prismatic, or the MRO(or other similar size) combined with a magnifier because the PRO plus magnifier starts getting in to some weight/bulk issues I think are best nipped in the bud when looking at current offerings.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5shank View Post
    I guess if you never ask you never know and you boy's are teaching a old dog about RDS sights. I've noticed the tint when looking through Red Dots in the store and often wonder if it comes into play at the times of day when to light is waning. In using a lighted cross-bow scope at dark in the woods I've never been impressed and much prefer to keep the scope in the lowest setting or off. It sounds to me that more then a few of you have done your voting with your wallets so I take your opinions seriously and and am fast learning that I don't know @#$% about RDS's or Prism scopes!
    How old a dog are you Shank? I ask because many of us have issues with astigmatism when we age. The condition makes the dot look distorted. For me RDS aren't practical for long range use. I still use an MRO on my house rifle but there isn't much possibility of needing to make a shot longer than 40-50 yards. The slight parallax isn't an issue unless you just want to make it one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    Can you better explain this? What were you using as the aiming point in these two situations?
    Sionics Patrol 3E. Magpul MBUS Pros. Trijicon MRO (latest generation) on factory Trijicon absolute co-witness mount.

I zeroed the irons, appx. 1.4" low at 25yd (indoor range, benched). Then zeroed the MRO with the sights flipped down. Then flipped up the rear MBUS Pro to "sharpen the dot." The Trijicon absolute cowitness is not absolute with those sights, it's slightly taller, so looking through the rear MBUS Pro the dot had to come down a bit in relation to the MRO's window. Essentially the dot was slightly below center when aiming through the iron sight. POA was a cross grid zeroing target, so figure 1/2" bullseye area.

POI at same POA shooting the MRO dot through the rear MBUS Pro was appx. 3" off at 25yds. For the life of me I cannot recall if the POI was lower or higher.

Feedback Score
    I have purchased 14 PRO's for my and family member's rifles. I have recommended them to countless others. The LE agencies I used to work for use them. There has never been an issue with any of them. That says something about the quality and durability.

I change the covers so that both back and front are see-through. It isn't really necessary, but red dot sights aren't either for that matter. Iron sights have worked for centuries. LOL.

I'd rather spend the $14 or whatever it is to be able to look through the PRO rightfriggingnownownow without flipping a cover up, not have the mental disruption of an occluded eye sight I am not used to in an emergency, and still have the lenses protected.
    Last edited by CrashAxe; 06-07-20 at 12:54. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Reasonably competent shooters can employ a 1x RDS for hundreds of yards on B/C steel, or smaller.
    LPV's don't let you shoot better, they let you see better. It's helpful if you can dial dope, but not essential.
    300 yards isn't far.
    The PRO is excellent, all the essentials of it's siblings at a lower price. When you're done with it, there's always something else to put it on or someone else that wants it.
    A PRO is substantially more durable than an LPV at or near the same price point.
    Irons on rifles aren't really a discussion anymore. With optics like the PRO, fewer folks are even mounting a buis.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I have a couple of MROs that I leave on a medium setting so they’re always ready to go. Battery life isn’t what I’d like it to be but it’s a really nice compact sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    Sionics Patrol 3E. Magpul MBUS Pros. Trijicon MRO (latest generation) on factory Trijicon absolute co-witness mount.

I zeroed the irons, appx. 1.4" low at 25yd (indoor range, benched). Then zeroed the MRO with the sights flipped down. Then flipped up the rear MBUS Pro to "sharpen the dot." The Trijicon absolute cowitness is not absolute with those sights, it's slightly taller, so looking through the rear MBUS Pro the dot had to come down a bit in relation to the MRO's window. Essentially the dot was slightly below center when aiming through the iron sight. POA was a cross grid zeroing target, so figure 1/2" bullseye area.

POI at same POA shooting the MRO dot through the rear MBUS Pro was appx. 3" off at 25yds. For the life of me I cannot recall if the POI was lower or higher.
    Your absolute co-witness mount not co-witnessing with your irons makes your post make more sense. I took an AR with an MRO on an ADM lower 1/3 mount with me to the range today. I get a roughly 1.5" upward offset at 23 yards when centering the dot in the Troy BUIS aperture.

I agree that the sight exhibits more parallax error than what's ideal. I just read through the product information web page, and I don't see any mention of parallax, which I vaguelly recall reading previously. As I said earlier, if you put the dot into the center of the FOV (not hard when a proper cheekweld is used), there is no parallax. The further the distance to the target (which increases the error), the more time you should have to get it right.

You getting twice the POI offset from a more centered dot is odd.

The PRO is a solid optic, and I'm completely comfortable using one on an HD AR. I've been running my ML3 since 2011, with absolutely no issues so far.

Feedback Score
    So the question is "How Old" old enough to have 2 fake knees, a rebuilt left shoulder, 3 heart attacks (last one got me 4 way bypass last Nov 1st ) and 15 days in a crappy bed.The list is getting a bit long so I'll just say "I'm Old" The good news is I can still bench press 200 LBS 10 times X 5 sets and Don't for a minute think Old People can't get really pissed! Other then that it's great you young whipper snappers will take the time with the old folks which reminds me it's time for my double Meta Mucil latte .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast