Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight 14.5"~16.0" upper?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Lightweight 14.5"~16.0" upper?

Sons of Liberty "Swamp Fox" M4-SF Ultra Light Upper? Or something similar?

Looking for a lightweight high-quality upper, the Sons of Liberty "Swamp Fox" looks like a contender but, they don't seem to offer SiCo ASR QD mounts and haven't responded to my inquires. With BCG I'm in the area of ~$900.

In the sub-thousand dollar range with BCG and no sights, who else build a solid reliable lightweight upper? I'm not looking for exotic titanium parts but, I also want something that is relatively lightweight without being 'extreme'. I can do an SBR or standard rifle so, I have no hard 16" barrel requirement though that makes things somewhat easier logistically as I have properties in two different states.

I prefer mid-length gas, and don't want to go less than 13.7" on the barrel at a hard lower limit though, I'm thinking a more traditional ~14.5" with a pin and weld SiCo ASR is probably best.

Are BCM ULW uppers still over gassed when suppressed? Who else should I consider?

TIA,
    Sid

Feedback Score
    Centurian Arms sounds like the answer that you seek.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Black River Tactical is always a good choice, and they have lightweight barrels. Not sure how far off they are, but they have some brand new barrels coming soon, perhaps in an acceptable length. They’ll build an upper for you.

Feedback Score
    in the same boat somewhat, i’ve been eye balling the ballistic advantage 16” pencil barrel upper with plain jane magpul furniture. it doesn’t come with a ch/bcg but slap in any quality parts & it’ll be gtg. either you can changed out the a2 birdcage or send it to a gunsmith.

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/1...ete-upper.html

Feedback Score
    Centurion Arms is a solid choice. If you want their rail you can probably order it with the gas block pinned on.

I put together a 14.5” upper with a DD lightweight barrel and Colt upper receiver with a Centurion Arms rail. I sent my barrel off to John at Retro Arms Works and had my flash hider pinned and welded on. He was quick, and very affordable.

I love my DD barrel and am very pleased with how it all came out (made my own version of a Colt CCU but a 14.5” version). But if I had to do it over again I would just source it all from Centurion Arms. One stop shop for a quality upper receiver, barrel, and rail.

Or check Brownells for a 16” Colt CCU upper receiver. They periodically sell them. Lightweight, mid length barrel with Centurion Arms rail. I have this version too and it shoots very well. Accurate and soft.
    Last edited by El Vaquero; 06-06-20 at 02:32.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Centurion may make good stuff, but their barrels aren't very light. If weight is the primary concern, I would (and did) use a BCM ELW barrel. The BFH version is 3.9 ounces lighter than Centurion's comparable product, and the non-BFH ELW-F is over four ounces lighter. Plus the continuous taper profile has better balance so it will feel much better.

I was also under the impression that Centurions were gassed more liberally than BCM. Not sure if that changed recently but I know it used to be the case.
    Last edited by Wake27; 06-06-20 at 08:43.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    No one noticed its the lightweight wedgelock rail is what makes that SOLGW upper. Its the highest quality rail out of all the offerings you listed. A LT barrel with heavy rail or vice versa a LT rail with a regular weight barrel does not a lightweight upper make.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 06-06-20 at 13:16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    No one noticed its the lightweight wedgelock rail is what makes that SOLGW upper. Its the highest quality rail out of all the offerings you listed. A LT barrel with heavy rail or vice versa a LT rail with a regular weight barrel does not a lightweight upper make.
    The Ti barrel nut appears to be the biggest difference. Whether the steel or a Ti barrel nut is better for a build like this most likely depends on the firing schedule of the rifle in question.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Vaquero View Post
    Brownells for a 16” Colt CCU upper receiver. They periodically sell them. Lightweight, mid length barrel with Centurion Arms rail. I have this version too and it shoots very well. Accurate and soft.
    I got one of these for $465 on sale awhile back when the great gun-glut of 2016 was still affecting us - it's a great lightweight upper - sadly I don't know if they'll be offered again.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I'd build off of a LW Black River Tactical 14" barrel, or a Sionics LW barrel. Personally, I care about accuracy, and these two companies have been consistent for me over plenty of builds.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 06-07-20 at 10:01.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast