Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AR mag longevity and reliability ?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Good information already here. I'll add that I prefer aluminum, used to replace the followers with magpul, no need to anymore. You can wear them out and I used to regularly, not so much anymore.

I own many different types but actually have put more rounds thru the mags I've bought from DSG over the years than any others.

I'll add that anyone with any real experience that says there's only one type they trust would be considered of questionable knowledge and experience by me.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mosin46 View Post
    i have a large excess of AR mags,esp aluminum. i am asking if anyone has any experience with the various brands. i have brownell,duramag,bravo and palmetto. BTW the guy that built my excellent custom AR spent time in africa and mid east as an operator. he swears that the only mags he trusts are the brownells editions. any input or experience comparing these ? also,comparing to pmags. he does relate a serious failure with pmags-shattering when dropped out of pouch when exiting a vehicle. i suspect gen 2s. my smith reports a similar failure with aluminum mags,so only trusts Ps. planning on offing a few as i am in the hunt for an ak-74. any comparative knowledge,opinions or experience? hope this is right place to ask.
    Absolutely 100% complete bullshit right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    ...... for stacking deep I prefer true USGI mags........
    Magpul gen3 MCT magazines are true USGI.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    Absolutely 100% complete bullshit right there.
    What makes it bullshit? I have witnessed numerous gen 2 FDE pmags split up the spine and vomit the remainder of the rounds when dropped on concrete. Granted, I have only ever seen this with the gen2 FDE colored pmags and only when partially loaded. Never saw it happen with fully loaded or empty pmags.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For some reason the M1 Magpull does not fit well in the well of my LMT Defender 2000 receiver. But M2's and 3's do. I like the Lancers for their translucent bodies so I can easily see how many rounds I have, very handy for 2 gun competition which I am all about these days. But lately I've been buying M2's on sale every chance I get.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'm of the mindset that everyone buying an AR-15 should simply but 20 USGI Aluminum mags from Okay / D&H - a mix of 20 and 30rd as it fits your preference.

Most people would go broke trying to break a quality AR15 and 20 USGI mags.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    Magpul gen3 MCT magazines are true USGI.
    Only for the Marine Corps unless something has changed.

Feedback Score
    I have used pretty much everything at this point from Steel Israeli mags to Aluminum GI from all makes to all kinds of PMAGs.

No magazine is infallible. I've had Gen 2 and 3 pmags split up the spine and USGI mags bend to the point of no salvation. I&I your gear and move on.

My advice; Get PMAGS or Aluminum GI mags with magpul followers and forget about it and worry about something else. Magazines are consumable, semi disposable items.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    The correct answer is to buy both M3 Pmags and Okay Surefeed USGI mags. My go to rifles have windowed M3 Pmags but have Surefeeds loaded as backup mags.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Colt marked/Okay Industries/NHMTG USGI mags as previously stated. Ive had no problems with Pmags that I remember. But I'll toss a mag in a heartbeat if it starts causing issues. Any mag for any gun-rifle or pistol.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    FYI Just because your GI mags stop dropping free from the magwell doesn't mean you have to toss them...I have several heavily used aluminum mags that didn't drop free from any of my lowers. I used a filer to wear down the areas on the mags that were getting stuck in the magwell, they're all good to go now. Of course they are relegated to training/range use only.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast