Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting down sba3 brace questions

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Cutting down sba3 brace questions

I've seen a few people in the pic thread who have cut their sba3 brace down to a more almost car stock type look. What are the legalities surrounding modifying a brace? For those that have cut down their sba3, was it to lessen the amount of flex in the bottom portion of the brace? Just looking for some insights, I'm new to the AR pistol game.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I’m not an expert so take this with a grain of salt, but I THINK any modifications to braces are illegal. They obtained approval from the BATFE the way they were submitted, in their original form. Not saying that a shortened brace wouldn’t receive approval, but that’s not the form that was approved.

I believe it’s done to get it as short as possible when collapsed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    I’m not an expert so take this with a grain of salt, but I THINK any modifications to braces are illegal. They obtained approval from the BATFE the way they were submitted, in their original form. Not saying that a shortened brace wouldn’t receive approval, but that’s not the form that was approved.

I believe it’s done to get it as short as possible when collapsed.

No doubt. "They" could probably get you if you cleaned the brace.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Most are just tucking the flexible bottoms of the brace up into the arm hole and tightening up the velcro strap. No cutting involved, and no permanent mod to the brace.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    Most are just tucking the flexible bottoms of the brace up into the arm hole and tightening up the velcro strap. No cutting involved, and no permanent mod to the brace.
    He’s talking about cutting the part that goes into the buffer tube, I believe. I’ve seen it done before.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would NOT modify a brace unless you want...

9873cPi.jpg

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I'm talking about cutting the rubber ends shorter, not the part that sits on the extension.. But that pic posted above makes it look like the bottom ends are just flipped up inside its self. I meant this,

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esquire View Post
    I'm talking about cutting the rubber ends shorter, not the part that sits on the extension..
    That sounds like a bad idea. I have a Tailhook mod2 that I like a lot, but the bottom of it has a sharp point that is annoying after an hour of shooting. I am extremely tempted to round it with a dremel, taking off maybe a 1/8-1/4 inch of material. I have not done so, because my understanding is that modifying the brace in any way, especially to make it more shoulderable, is a big no-no in ATF's eyes. I am SBRing my first lower to remedy the situation.

Whatever you decide, please, for the love of all that is holy, do not write the ATF for clarification.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esquire View Post
    I'm talking about cutting the rubber ends shorter, not the part that sits on the extension.. But that pic posted above makes it look like the bottom ends are just flipped up inside its self. I meant this,

Oh, then I stand corrected. Yes, lots of people fold the pieces up into itself. I still don’t know if that’s a good idea or not. I’m not telling you not to do it, but I’m not going to.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Copy that, I'm just going to shoot it as intended.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast