Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rem700 .300WM plan and a stock question.

Feedback Score

Rem700 .300WM plan and a stock question.

Just picked up a NIB box but older Rem700 Police Sniper, 26" barrel and before threads and 5R from my Sister's FIL. My plan is too get a Witt Machine&Tool clamp-on comp, then shoot this barrel off inside 5 years and replace with a Bartlein barrel and have the precision Smith true everything up. Right now it has a SWFA scope that will be replaced in a couple of years with a Vortex HD GenII.

It has a right/left hand stock. The left hand palm bulge feels awkward to my right hand fingers.
    Can I sand this off?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    If you sand it off you’ll compromise the integrity. You may need to change your grip to more of a modern precision rifle grip and you won’t notice the palm sells. Look at YouTube there some videos in precision rifle grip and fixing your grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    My advice is to keep it as is and enjoy it, more than likely you won't out shoot it. The other piece is by the time you start throwing money into it, look at other options.

You are looking at minimum for a GOOD smith to fit a Bartlein at about 750-850. Then you would want to "true" the receiver, maybe add a trigger. then if wanting to keep the stock you have, probably end up paying for a bedding job, etc

Then if you decide on a chassis, congrats! you could have either purchased an AI AT or a do it your self "custom" The receiver work and bedding are what most consider lost money. People don't care if Moses himself built it-they won't pay for labor lost.

Look at later
    Accuracy International AT-you can find slightly used ones for the low to mid 3's with a barrel
    Something like an Impact 737 action with a prefit barrel-pick your action and trigger and put it together yourself.

Both will be close to the same price. The AI's with the quick change barrel takes 2 minutes to change by yourself with a torque tool(one screw that holds the quick lock in)
    The Impact with a prefit barrel can be done by you with a torque wrench, barrel vise and action wrench.

Lastly you can always remove your two action screws, pick a chassis and plop the action into it and torque the action screws. Chassis such as MDT, the AI AICS, KRG, XLR, MPA, etc are another
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I may be biased, opinionated, etc.

Just don't do this

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    My advice is to keep it as is and enjoy it, more than likely you won't out shoot it. The other piece is by the time you start throwing money into it, look at other options.

You are looking at minimum for a GOOD smith to fit a Bartlein at about 750-850. Then you would want to "true" the receiver, maybe add a trigger. then if wanting to keep the stock you have, probably end up paying for a bedding job, etc

Then if you decide on a chassis, congrats! you could have either purchased an AI AT or a do it your self "custom" The receiver work and bedding are what most consider lost money. People don't care if Moses himself built it-they won't pay for labor lost.

Look at later
    Accuracy International AT-you can find slightly used ones for the low to mid 3's with a barrel
    Something like an Impact 737 action with a prefit barrel-pick your action and trigger and put it together yourself.

Both will be close to the same price. The AI's with the quick change barrel takes 2 minutes to change by yourself with a torque tool(one screw that holds the quick lock in)
    The Impact with a prefit barrel can be done by you with a torque wrench, barrel vise and action wrench.

Lastly you can always remove your two action screws, pick a chassis and plop the action into it and torque the action screws. Chassis such as MDT, the AI AICS, KRG, XLR, MPA, etc are another
    I know. I was no shit calling Defiant to purchase one of their $1300 receivers to start my build on March 15 and my kid had a strange fever that day. All is well now. But my priorities changed. This is the last serious gun I will ever buy. I'm all about ammo and spare parts now. I even sold my .45s and ammo. I'm consolidating. And this will be my "golf" gun. I will go to local competitions and long-range ranges to compete against myself and spend time with friends.
    Last edited by Todd00000; 06-08-20 at 12:09.
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    If you sand it off you’ll compromise the integrity. You may need to change your grip to more of a modern precision rifle grip and you won’t notice the palm sells. Look at YouTube there some videos in precision rifle grip and fixing your grip.

Thank you. I've got a lot to learn, but it's going to be enjoyable and I'm not going to spend a lot of money. My plan is what I wrote, I can purchase all those things over time. I might add a not too expensive two-stage trigger, but that's it.
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd00000 View Post
    I know. I was no shit calling Defiant to purchase one of their $1300 receivers to start my build on March 15 and my kid had a strange fever that day. All is well now. But my priorities changed. This is the last serious gun I will ever buy. I'm all about ammo and spare parts now. I even sold my .45s and ammo. I'm consolidating. And this will be my "golf" gun. I will go to local competitions and long-range ranges to compete against myself and spend time with friends.
    If you plan on using a .300 Win for competitions, it’s going to be difficult, but that’s not saying it can’t be done. Just remember you’ll be at a major disadvantage. Barrel life, recoil, ammunition expense and so on will put you behind the crowd.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    If you plan on using a .300 Win for competitions, it’s going to be difficult, but that’s not saying it can’t be done. Just remember you’ll be at a major disadvantage. Barrel life, recoil, ammunition expense and so on will put you behind the crowd.

Did you really read my post?
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I would add your brake, that is important. Then buy a Timney 1 stage trigger for $125. Learn how to work around your grip issue then be off and running. Best of luck mi amigo.

Maybe bed the stock if you can find the stock useful down the road.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I would add your brake, that is important. Then buy a Timney 1 stage trigger for $125. Learn how to work around your grip issue then be off and running. Best of luck mi amigo.

Maybe bed the stock if you can find the stock useful down the road.

PB
    Will do. The stock has an aluminum bed, and since I plan to hunt with this I will have to do something about the left palm buldge.
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast