Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the least obnoxious 5/8x24 muzzle brakes?

Feedback Score

What are the least obnoxious 5/8x24 muzzle brakes?

I’m looking for the least obnoxious 5/8x24 muzzle brakes, but I really don’t have any experience with them. This is actually going on a 7.62x39 so I don’t need the most effective. I’ll gladly take lower effectiveness if the byproduct is noticeably reduced blast. Any suggestions?? I would prefer not to spend KAC MAMS kind of money, because it was the 1st one I thought of. Maybe an EFAB?
    Last edited by dlrflyer; 06-07-20 at 23:56.

Feedback Score
    I have quite a few short of the old DPMS or Kaw Valley the next one would be BCM. Not much back blast and ok to shoot next to without getting punished. All others suck to one degree or another for noise and blast.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Our BRT Covert Comp is your ticket to low blast.

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Our BRT Covert Comp is your ticket to low blast.

This is the way.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a surefire Warcomp that I particularly like. Tests incredibly well for low flash, and the two chamber brake it replaced didn't feel like it reduced recoil that much more. This is on a 6.5 Creedmoor if that matters at all.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrflyer View Post
    I’m looking for the least obnoxious 5/8x24 muzzle brakes, but I really don’t have any experience with them. This is actually going on a 7.62x39 so I don’t need the most effective. I’ll gladly take lower effectiveness if the byproduct is noticeably reduced blast.
    Why do you want a brake? And why are you looking at such expensive options?

For a hybrid device, no argument with the BRT Covert comp, although no personal experience with it either. The Griffin Armament M4SD Flash Comp and Hammer Comp work well in my experience; not so much their perforated-style Tactical Comp, which looks a lot like the Battlecomp. I have experience with all those on 5.56.

For a pure brake, the PRI Quiet Brake is very effective as a brake and much less loud than its appearance would suggest. That is a 100% brake, no hybrid or flash reduction.

But if you don't really need an effective brake, why not just get a .308 sized A2 flash hider for $8-10 and spend your money on other things? The A2 is a reasonably good flash hider and surprisingly effective as a compensator, to hold the muzzle down, but with no braking effect. (Anyone who questions that claim - turn your A2 upside down and shoot a few rounds, and also remove it and try vs. a bare muzzle.)

Finally, for the least muzzle blast without regard to flash or braking effect, the Covert Comp or the "linear compensator" type devices made by various companies.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Since this thread has already evolved into not-brakes, I’ll throw out the first thing I thought when I saw the question: https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/6310_p_127.html
    FCD6310.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Wilson Combat Q Comp

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    EFAB/AFAB.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    BRT Covert Comp for blast reduction, FCD 6310 if otherwise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast