Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory Vickers Tactical Masterclass 1911 (Lipsey's Exclusive)

Feedback Score
    This will be a nice piece for a new 1911 owner whom likes the idea of a full custom gun that can’t afford the large sticker price. I didn’t see any guarantees on accuracy, hopefully someone will do a review.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Yesterday I got the chance to shoot this weapon. I put 250 rounds of Magtech 230gr FMJ though it. I did't have much time before the range close, about an hour and half, so my main goal was to put 250 rds through it and hope there weren't any issues. I shot it at 10, 15 and 25 yards. Mostly 10 and 15 yards. This is the 1st time I've shot 45ACP in about 5 years btw. I was shooting a regular rifle style sighting in target that had a center diamond bullseye and 4 corner diamond bullseyes. The first 16 rounds were all high and left about 2-3 inches at 10 yards. The group was easily fist sized. Not good at all. Same with the next 3 magazines. I was just a bit worried. Next, I shot at the upper left diamond and slowed down my shooting a lot. groups tightened up a good bit and were just a bit high and left. I'm feeling better now. I put about 150 round through it at 10 yards and while shooting at each corner diamond I could keep gold ball sized groups but they were all about an inch high and left. Next I moved out to 15 yards and changed targets. Results were pretty much the same. I put 50 rounds through it at this distance. Then I moved out to 25 yards and did the same. Results were the same group wise but elevation was just a bit lower. Overall I had to really concentrate on form and trigger control otherwise everything opened up. As long as I did my part all was fine. I am going to have to adjust the sights just a bit to bring POI right. One question for the 1911 guys here. It seems like it took a bit for the gun to settle in and start shooing like it was supposed to as far as groups are concerned. I'm sure part of this was me but it couldn't be all me. Is it common for a 1911 to "break in" and tighten up, group wise, after however many rounds? BTW I had no malfunctions in any way while shooting.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Watrdawg:

I haven't followed this thread in a couple of weeks and didn't know you picked one up. I'm still trying to get my local dealer to locate one for me, he's having a tough time.

250 rounds is a lot of shooting for .45 in one setting. My arm would have fallen off and the carpel tunnel would be acting up.

Your description of the erratic sight picture may have something to do with the U notch rear sight. Many people have problems adjusting to the U shaped notch as they are used to the conventional square notch. The fact that you said you had to focus and slow down on your cadence could be the result of getting used to the U.

I shoot a lot of 1911s and have a few through my life as a fan, as proven with my long online friendship with AC. I really can't say that it takes time for a gun to "settle in", at least I don't believe in it. It takes the shooter to settle in on a gun, any gun and caliber. If you're used to shooting a glock and 9mm, switching to a 1911 will take some getting used to.

Give it time, but if you give up on the gun, send me a PM

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Watrdawg:

I haven't followed this thread in a couple of weeks and didn't know you picked one up. I'm still trying to get my local dealer to locate one for me, he's having a tough time.

250 rounds is a lot of shooting for .45 in one setting. My arm would have fallen off and the carpel tunnel would be acting up.

Your description of the erratic sight picture may have something to do with the U notch rear sight. Many people have problems adjusting to the U shaped notch as they are used to the conventional square notch. The fact that you said you had to focus and slow down on your cadence could be the result of getting used to the U.

I shoot a lot of 1911s and have a few through my life as a fan, as proven with my long online friendship with AC. I really can't say that it takes time for a gun to "settle in", at least I don't believe in it. It takes the shooter to settle in on a gun, any gun and caliber. If you're used to shooting a glock and 9mm, switching to a 1911 will take some getting used to.

Give it time, but if you give up on the gun, send me a PM
    Thanks for the response Sam! I'm sure you are right getting used to a 1911 compared to my Glocks and Sigs. 250rds wasn't bad. Now a while back I took an advanced handgun class from Larry and we shot 1000 rounds over the weekend. I was shooting my M&P 45 Midsize then. We fired at least 500 rds the first day and then finished the rest the next. My hands were definitely sore!!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    Yesterday I got the chance to shoot this weapon. I put 250 rounds of Magtech 230gr FMJ though it. I did't have much time before the range close, about an hour and half, so my main goal was to put 250 rds through it and hope there weren't any issues. I shot it at 10, 15 and 25 yards. Mostly 10 and 15 yards. This is the 1st time I've shot 45ACP in about 5 years btw. I was shooting a regular rifle style sighting in target that had a center diamond bullseye and 4 corner diamond bullseyes. The first 16 rounds were all high and left about 2-3 inches at 10 yards. The group was easily fist sized. Not good at all. Same with the next 3 magazines. I was just a bit worried. Next, I shot at the upper left diamond and slowed down my shooting a lot. groups tightened up a good bit and were just a bit high and left. I'm feeling better now. I put about 150 round through it at 10 yards and while shooting at each corner diamond I could keep gold ball sized groups but they were all about an inch high and left. Next I moved out to 15 yards and changed targets. Results were pretty much the same. I put 50 rounds through it at this distance. Then I moved out to 25 yards and did the same. Results were the same group wise but elevation was just a bit lower. Overall I had to really concentrate on form and trigger control otherwise everything opened up. As long as I did my part all was fine. I am going to have to adjust the sights just a bit to bring POI right. One question for the 1911 guys here. It seems like it took a bit for the gun to settle in and start shooing like it was supposed to as far as groups are concerned. I'm sure part of this was me but it couldn't be all me. Is it common for a 1911 to "break in" and tighten up, group wise, after however many rounds? BTW I had no malfunctions in any way while shooting.
    I’d bet it wasn’t the gun. My guess is 5 years off 45 and a new gun. I’d try and bench rest it as best you can and re-test prior to moving rear. Maybe even another shooter behind it might point you in the right direction.

Did it come with a “test target”?
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
    I’d bet it wasn’t the gun. My guess is 5 years off 45 and a new gun. I’d try and bench rest it as best you can and re-test prior to moving rear. Maybe even another shooter behind it might point you in the right direction.

Did it come with a “test target”?
    No it didn't come with a target. Although now that i am going over the very back of the manual they state Point of aim/Point of Impact is as such. At 25 yards the bullet should impact at the point visible at the top of the front sight. Or you can also use the 6 o'clock sight picture to strike the center of the target. This definitely explains why I was high. I am aiming dead on the target so that my point of impact would be at the center of the front sight dot. Basically covering the target with my front sight. So according to Springfields manual I would be shooting high. All of my other handguns I have always covered the target with the front sight and POA being POI. Springfields method is a first for me. Next time I'm at the range I'll have to test it out.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I'll solve your problem and trouble. Send it to me and I'll test fire, zero it and give it a good home for you buddy.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I don't know Sam. With you being such a 1911 Neophyte I'm sure this gun would just sit there all alone and never used. LOL. Actually I'm looking forward to wringing this out more and more. It really is a clean looking gun and I like everything about it. My little trials and tribulations are just those of someone new to 1911's When you think about it, for the money how can you beat this gun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    I don't know Sam. With you being such a 1911 Neophyte I'm sure this gun would just sit there all alone and never used. LOL. Actually I'm looking forward to wringing this out more and more. It really is a clean looking gun and I like everything about it. My little trials and tribulations are just those of someone new to 1911's When you think about it, for the money how can you beat this gun.
    I’d dry fire the piss out of it first. Trigger pull and grip are beyond vital with the 1911. And yes the Springfields with their poa/poi are annoying. They’re made for target shooting, as opposed to combat shooting like you’re talking about (covering front sight on poa for poi). Some of it might be ammo to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Definitely doing so. One thing I've learned is that my cat is one tough critter. I've shot her about a 100 times so far and she's still running around like nobody's business. LOL Seriously though I do a good bit of dry fire with all of my handguns and this one is no exception.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast