Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with HD weapon light

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by campfire View Post
    So, I've decided to go with the Modlite PLHv2. Any thoughts on the runtime of the 18350 version? Is 35 minutes enough?
    I keep spare batteries on hand to feed it if needed. If in doubt I change them out.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I keep spare batteries on hand to feed it if needed. If in doubt I change them out.
    Nice decision campfire, I’m waiting on mine to get delivered.. I purchased 6 sets of battery spares since I also got their handheld version. Bummer with this new rechargeable battery tech is they are much bigger than the CR123’s IMO and I have to figure out a best way to store the spares in the rifle (don’t think they fit a SOPMOD stock compartment or into the grips etc)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftie View Post
    I'm in the process of moving to 18650 and 18350 lights nearly exclusively for high-output lights, and very recently purchased a Modlite handheld (18650) with a PLH Gen 1 head off of a forum member here. To say that I've been impressed with the Modlite's performance is an understatement. Head-to-head with Surefire M300s and M600s, I prefer the Modlite's spill, and think that they did a great job in the design and form factor -even in 18650- and I prefer M300-sized scout lights. More and more, I am moving away from Surefire and Streamlight weaponlights towards Modlite's offerings because they are nearly turnkey solutions which outperform Surefire and Streamlight's comparable options.

The OWL is an awesome light, and it performs exceptionally well - it is a big light, and by big, I mean that I didn't appreciate just how burly it was until I used it. You mention that you would prefer an 18350-sized light, and the OWL isn't anywhere near that in form factor, nor in weight, as others have said above. It's performance makes up for the size/weight downsides though- specifically, the spill is floodlight-esque, in a good way. I am looking forward to Cloud Defensive releasing their rail-mounted light (the REIN), and I'll definitely be picking one up. If it's anywhere as good as the OWL, it will be worth the money.

Another thing worth considering is that the Modlite lights aren't cross compatible between CR123 and 18650/18350. The 18650/18350 cells are rechargeable and perform much better in terms of output comparatively to CR123s. I think that it's also important to consider how you are using your weaponlight when debating 18650 or 18350 sized lights: If you're using the light as a momentary-on/off with an occasional 1-2 minute (or even 10-15 minute) constant activation, you might choose a different solution than if you are going to be running the light for an extended period of time, or have it constantly activated.

The 18650/18350 batteries allow you not to trade output performance for size/weight, but instead they trade run-time. There's no such thing as a free lunch!
    I disagree. Surefire has managed 1500 lumens on 18650, and 1200 lumens on CR123. Their beam profile sucks, but the horsepower is absolutely there to make dual-fuel just as viable as a OWL or Modlite, if they had chosen to go that route, in the 18650 size. In the 18350/CR123 size, you are correct.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftie View Post
    I'm in the process of moving to 18650 and 18350 lights nearly exclusively for high-output lights, and very recently purchased a Modlite handheld (18650) with a PLH Gen 1 head off of a forum member here. To say that I've been impressed with the Modlite's performance is an understatement. Head-to-head with Surefire M300s and M600s, I prefer the Modlite's spill, and think that they did a great job in the design and form factor -even in 18650- and I prefer M300-sized scout lights. More and more, I am moving away from Surefire and Streamlight weaponlights towards Modlite's offerings because they are nearly turnkey solutions which outperform Surefire and Streamlight's comparable options.

The OWL is an awesome light, and it performs exceptionally well - it is a big light, and by big, I mean that I didn't appreciate just how burly it was until I used it. You mention that you would prefer an 18350-sized light, and the OWL isn't anywhere near that in form factor, nor in weight, as others have said above. It's performance makes up for the size/weight downsides though- specifically, the spill is floodlight-esque, in a good way. I am looking forward to Cloud Defensive releasing their rail-mounted light (the REIN), and I'll definitely be picking one up. If it's anywhere as good as the OWL, it will be worth the money.

Another thing worth considering is that the Modlite lights aren't cross compatible between CR123 and 18650/18350. The 18650/18350 cells are rechargeable and perform much better in terms of output comparatively to CR123s. I think that it's also important to consider how you are using your weaponlight when debating 18650 or 18350 sized lights: If you're using the light as a momentary-on/off with an occasional 1-2 minute (or even 10-15 minute) constant activation, you might choose a different solution than if you are going to be running the light for an extended period of time, or have it constantly activated.

The 18650/18350 batteries allow you not to trade output performance for size/weight, but instead they trade run-time. There's no such thing as a free lunch!
    The 18650's come in 3500mAh models. A CR123 is 1550mAH (2 would be 3100mAh - if run in parallel - if not it is only 1550mAh but double the voltage). So the 18650 wins in overall capacity. The only thing CR123's have to offer over a 18650 is shelf life. They have 10 years versus a 18650 will discharge and need to be recharged in a year or so. The thing is, it CAN be recharged. CR123's cannot.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    The 18650's come in 3500mAh models. A CR123 is 1550mAH (2 would be 3100mAh - if run in parallel - if not it is only 1550mAh but double the voltage). So the 18650 wins in overall capacity. The only thing CR123's have to offer over a 18650 is shelf life. They have 10 years versus a 18650 will discharge and need to be recharged in a year or so. The thing is, it CAN be recharged. CR123's cannot.
    18650's won't discharge much in a year. I've been tracking some that are 15ish years old that I just charged up last year around this time. All are still over 4.10v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    18650's won't discharge much in a year. I've been tracking some that are 15ish years old that I just charged up last year around this time. All are still over 4.10v
    Correct, you are probably at about 90%, which is higher than average projections are. I should have reframed the answer to something like if you want close to peak capacity, you will have to recharge in a year. and is also recomended practice to do so. It also is recommended that for very long term storage, 18650's should be charged to @50%.

https://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-w...tteries-safely
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 06-26-20 at 11:25.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Correct, you are probably at about 90%, which is higher than average projections are. I should have reframed the answer to something like if you want close to peak capacity, you will have to recharge in a year. and is also recomended practice to do so. It also is recommended that for very long term storage, 18650's should be charged to @50%.

https://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-w...tteries-safely

Here is a series I have done on 18650's that chronicles literally the worst way you could treat them, and the results:

*Just checked all 8. We are at the 1 year mark of storage on a full charge. The highest was 4.16v, the lowest was 4.15v.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice video. I need to go measure a bunch of my scavenged 18650's that have been sitting. Talk about abused...these came out of bad battery packs from my Makita 18v power tools. These things got heavily abused during my installation career (glad thats over). Hammer drilling through walls with 3/4" masonry bits, etc. (the upgrade to a cordless rotary hammer showed me how sh*tty hammer drills are). They stopped taking a charge, so I took them apart, metered them all and tossed the bad ones (usually 3 or 4 of them in the pack of 10).

I charged all the good ones awhile back (years) and put them in a box. I will meter them and see how they kept a charge. I'm won't be disappointed if they are discharged completely since it has been at least 5 years, more like 7-10 though. I'll let you know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast