Thread: Generac generator questions

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Generac generator questions

Am considering a Generac system, but at this point in time don’t want to “register” with them for a specific quote. So....

- Is there a benefit to going either LP vs in-house natural gas??? Can the system run both?

- Wondering about the breakdown for PURCHASE and INSTALLATION of a unit for a small (1200 sq ft) house?

- What is the schedule/frequency of maintence? Cost?

TIA

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    LP and NG are two different systems which is why it specifies, look at gas grills for example. If you have natural gas service to your house, I’d go with that. If you don’t then LP in a tank would be the choice.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    I have a Generac generator that runs on natural gas. It has been used in an emergency 3 times since 2015. Last year it ran for 3 days while I was without power. I don't have a huge house but my $2850 generator kept my whole house functioning (internet, fridge, gate opener, lights, cable etc).

I use natural gas because its already available at my home. The generator starts up every Wednesday around 2:00 to run a cycle. It notifies me via app if it needs maintenance or service.

The cost to install which included a concrete base, installation of power box, electrician, plumber and test/inspection was around $350 I believe.

I don't remember having to register with Generac but they were the ones who provided me the local distributors info as well as certified installer.

Well worth the money. It kicks on and fully operational in about 3 seconds after a power outage.

Last year I literally had neighbors over charging their phones because i was the only one with power.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Generac would be the way to go for a "bumpless" transfer during a power outage. You shouldn't have to touch a thing. I believe their standby gens will run on either NG or LP. The LP will give more output wattage. The NG usually puts out 1000-1500 less watts than the same generator would when running on LP. If you already have NG to house and do not have a large LP tank, then plan on running it on NG, but plan to run it on a barbecue pit propane tank in case you ever needed to.

But to be honest, for a 1200 sq ft house I might look into a portable generator with 7500-10000 running watts. Perhaps even 5000-6000 would run your house. You'll have to wheel it out to your hook up point and connect it and manually start it during a power outage, but it keeps you from having a permanently installed behemoth on the side of your house. And you can take it with you easily if you ever move. (Don't get me started on that fiasco when I made an unforeseen move two years ago and had to leave a brand new 22kw generac behind)
    Honda has always seemed to be the best brand when it comes to portables. But Honda does not make the dual fuel portables that I could find. By that I mean a portable generator that can run on gasoline or propane. I have a ford 11,500 dual fuel now and I love it. I made the manual connection into my house panel myself. It runs my 2400 sq ft house as long as we remain a little conservative. I go crank it up every week or two after mowing the grass. Being that I only run it on LP the engine and carb are not getting gummed up with gasoline deposits. And I invested in several larger propane tanks that I keep on hand. LP is a lot safer to keep stored than a hundred gallons of gasoline and it does not go bad like gas either. Been really reliable and simple so far.
    Last edited by matemike; 08-06-20 at 05:34.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If you have NG then that’s the best way. Next is LP, need to get a tank for storage, 500 gallons would be a minimum, most installs by me are 1,000 gallons (you can only get around 80% fill in the tanks). That gives you 7-10 day runtime based on loads. Allows for flexibility on when to refill.

The best option is an ATS install. As soon as power goes out, Genny starts up and takes over the whole house. With load shedding in the panel everything can run even AC in summer.

Next would be portable unit that runs dual fuel. Put an interlock on the panel and a hardwired plug from the panel to where the generator will be run. Again hard piped NG or LP tanks (100lb). You become the load manager deciding what to run in the panel.

The full time systems have come down so far in price, it’s the way to go. Around here a 22KW generator, buried 1000 tank and ATS panel can be done for 5-7K depending on install conditions.
    SF

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a 20KW Generac that runs my entire house.

- Can be configured to run on NG or LP
    - All depends on what you want to run and what you have in the house, size is based on electrical draw, not square feet
    - Maintenance is cheap, just like any other small engine, if use is only the weekly exercise, once a year oil and filter, plug when necessary
    - Oil Filter $8 Air Filter $15 Kit with everything $22
    - Keeping the lead acid battery full of water is probably the hardest thing to do as you have to pull it out and fill.

Last edited by HKGuns; 08-06-20 at 07:24.

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 08-11-20 at 09:02.

Feedback Score
    I have a generac 22kw/19kw guardian series. Works well and maint is pretty easy. Mine runs off NG, completed install by a local distributor was $10K, that includes everything, NG, transfer switch, electrical, etc. House size isn't the only issue, also take into account what you want the generator to run, I stopped trying to figure out which outlets and appliances to power and went for a whole-house model. You can do the maint yourself, if not, a local Generac dealer can do it for you. Mine charges $225.00 per year, that includes running the gen each quarter at my house, and all maint (battery, A package and the B package).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I have a 20KW Generac that runs my entire house.

- Can be configured to run on NG or LP
    - All depends on what you want to run and what you have in the house, size is based on electrical draw, not square feet
    - Maintenance is cheap, just like any other small engine, if use is only the weekly exercise, once a year oil and filter, plug when necessary
    - Oil Filter $8 Air Filter $15 Kit with everything $22
    - Keeping the lead acid battery full of water is probably the hardest thing to do as you have to pull it out and fill.

You could always go with an AGM or Gel battery to have less maintenance.