Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber reliable 762 AR

Feedback Score
    I'd buy an Armalite A series for well under $2k, swap the trigger and drop Kahles glass on top. These guns are often overlooked but they flat out run.

ETA: Whatever you buy, make sure spare parts can be purchased without sending the gun back to the manufacturer if it goes down. I seem to recall Daniel Defense, Barrett, and Savage are hesitant to send parts and want the gun sent back for repair.
    Last edited by 36trap; 06-14-20 at 09:34.

Feedback Score
    If you have the cash I would go with a KAC or LaRue OBR. I have a buddy with a KAC SR25 and it is one of the smoothest most reliable AR10's I have ever shot.

I have owned a LaRue OBR 5.56 with a 20" barrel for over 10 years now. Ultra reliable and ultra accurate. .5 MOA is not a problem with match grade 77 grain ammo. It has never had a failure, suppressed or not. Many pigs in Texas have met their demise to this rifle.

After lusting after one for years, I finally ordered a 7.62 OBR with 18" barrel. It will wear a Night Force ATACR 4x16 F1 with Mil-C reticule. Mount will be a LaRue LT-104 and Troy BIUS. I have another buddy with this exact same rifle and I think it is every bit as good as the KAC. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Daniel Defense and Noveske will also get praise from me.

qd84K3h.jpg
    Last edited by Woollymonster; 06-14-20 at 19:00.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Once again thank you for the replies. The gun market is rather dry at the moment due to Covid and riots. I will certainly look into some rifles that were mentioned in this thread. If I end up picking up a 308 AR, I going to go 16" barrel and slap on a Acog and call it a day. I want a "AR15" with more knock down basically. Once you start going with a 18-20" 308 with nice glass and bipod, weight adds up and it goes towards a precision rifle direction which is not my intention. Honestly the SCAR 17 is probably the best rifle for my needs. It is not the best at anything, but it is good at a lot of things. But I also want to see what evolves as it seems the 308 AR-10 is getting more refined as time goes on. Also was to keep my eye on the 6mm ARC...but that is a different topic.

Thank you for some more information regarding the AR-10 platform. In my old Army days we had M1a rifles we borrowed from 1st Group, and our M24 bolt gun. Our unit was in the process of ordering SR-25's, however I discharged before I was able to play with them. So my experience is 0 with the AR-10. I know what I am looking for in terms of portable firepower, and now I just got to find it...and afford it lol.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zx2man View Post
    Once again thank you for the replies. The gun market is rather dry at the moment due to Covid and riots. I will certainly look into some rifles that were mentioned in this thread. If I end up picking up a 308 AR, I going to go 16" barrel and slap on a Acog and call it a day. I want a "AR15" with more knock down basically. Once you start going with a 18-20" 308 with nice glass and bipod, weight adds up and it goes towards a precision rifle direction which is not my intention. Honestly the SCAR 17 is probably the best rifle for my needs. It is not the best at anything, but it is good at a lot of things. But I also want to see what evolves as it seems the 308 AR-10 is getting more refined as time goes on. Also was to keep my eye on the 6mm ARC...but that is a different topic.

Thank you for some more information regarding the AR-10 platform. In my old Army days we had M1a rifles we borrowed from 1st Group, and our M24 bolt gun. Our unit was in the process of ordering SR-25's, however I discharged before I was able to play with them. So my experience is 0 with the AR-10. I know what I am looking for in terms of portable firepower, and now I just got to find it...and afford it lol.

I would rethink the ACOG on a 308. There are so many better options, namely 1-6 (kahles k16i, vortex razor hd2e), 1-8 (NF ATACR, NF nx8, S&B SD), and 1-10 (vortex razor) that are very well suited for a 308 carbine.

A NF ATACR 4-16 with a red dot in Arisaka offset mount would also be an excellent option if you want more mag.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I had a TA11 3.5x acog on a Scar 17 from before and loved it. Engaging steel from 50 to 400 no problem. I do not require a variable for my needs. I’ve ran them before on other rifles, they have their purpose, but not on what I am seeking for a simple SHTF 308 carbine put a BG in the dirt 0-500 type of thing. What’s better for you isn’t necessarily better for me.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It may be heresy to mention this one on this forum, but the Sig 716 DMR is a really nice, reliable and accurate rifle in your price range. https://www.sigsauer.com/products/fi...rifles/sig716/
    Last edited by kyjd75; 06-17-20 at 16:39.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    lmt, you won't find better

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    You know what I’d like?.... A list of what manufactures use the curved lowers and what manufacturers use the angled lowers. Like can a PWS lower be used with a KAC upper? Can a LMT lower be used with a DD upper? The 7.62 world is worse than a family reunion.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    You know what I’d like?.... A list of what manufactures use the curved lowers and what manufacturers use the angled lowers. Like can a PWS lower be used with a KAC upper? Can a LMT lower be used with a DD upper? The 7.62 world is worse than a family reunion.
    And if curved, are the uppers high or low tang as well. Some do say, others leave it up to the imagination.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    Within the angle cut receivers you have multiple pivot / take down pin diameters and multiple upper receiver lug dimensions. Additionally, there can be clearance issues for ambi controls with some upper receivers.

KAC, Larue, and LMT uppers are functional with the following lowers: Armalite A series, KAC, Larue, LMT.
    Armalite uppers are functional with the following lowers: Armalite A series or KAC, Larue, LMT with minor modification to the pivot / take down pin lugs.
    Larue ultimate uppers have been successfully paired with Stag lowers.
    Matrix Aerospace produced the Ruger 762 receivers so there should be compatibility between them.
    Genesis is a KAC clone, if available and machined correctly it should fit Armalite A series, KAC, Larue, LMT.
    JP has or had an upper that was built for use with KAC lowers and should be compatible with Armalite A series, Larue, LMT.
    Geissele makes a mil exclusive upper that was built for use with KAC lowers and should be compatible with Armalite A series, Larue, LMT.
    Centurion is updating their billet upper which is KAC compatible.
    SMF Tactical uppers are modeled after Armalite A series but have DPMS barrel nut thread pattern. Pivot / take down pin lugs would require modification to be compatible with KAC, Larue, LMT lowers.

There are rumors of compatibility that I won't mention because I've never seen pics of receivers paired together or videos of functioning rifles.

KAC, LMT, Larue, Armalite, Stag, Noveske, Centurion, Wilson Combat, Ruger, V-Seven, Matrix Aerospace, American Defense Manufacturing, Troy, ZEV / MEGA, JP, Genesis, SMF, Les Baer, and Savage are companies who have offered angle cut receivers. There might have been old school Bushmaster and Rock River that made use of angled cut receivers.
    Last edited by 36trap; 06-22-20 at 16:39. Reason: added info

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast