Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: New Centurion Arms Triggers

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Bringing this back up now that I've spent considerable time with both the centurion AST and Aero precisions 2 stage tbats supposedly from the same OEM(but ~20 dollars cheaper).

If you don't want to read the whole post, the aero is going in the garbage and there is an AST on the way to replace it. Don't buy it.

My initial impressions of both were favorable. At least in my samples they definitely are not the same trigger but both have some advantages.

Centurion is definitely smoother and lighter overall. The aero had a longer first stage by maybe a couple MMs. First stage between both seemed comparable in weight. The aeros second stage was maybe 1-1.5 pounds heavier. This made it habe a more distinct wall for the second stage. It was very easy to take up the first stage, prep your shot, and then break the trigger. Despite being heavier it was still very crisp. Less overtravel than the Centurion (which still doesn't have much). Both have very positive resets.

Here's where it gets ugly. I don't know the technical details of whats actually malfunctioning in the trigger but it's certainly a dangerous malfunction. Maybe someone can shed some light on it. Every once in a while you'll approach the second stage, think you've broken the shot, get a faint click, but the hammer won't fall. Trigger won't move rearward anymore, after a short delay (varies between 2 and 6 seconds), the hammer will then fall. You can even get it to this point, release the trigger, and wait for the hammer to release. Only began to manifest itself after ~ 150 live rounds and probably 4-500dry fires.

Pulled the trigger out and inspected everything and reinstalled. Nothing stands out.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpetros View Post
    Bringing this back up now that I've spent considerable time with both the centurion AST and Aero precisions 2 stage tbats supposedly from the same OEM(but ~20 dollars cheaper).

If you don't want to read the whole post, the aero is going in the garbage and there is an AST on the way to replace it. Don't buy it.

My initial impressions of both were favorable. At least in my samples they definitely are not the same trigger but both have some advantages.

Centurion is definitely smoother and lighter overall. The aero had a longer first stage by maybe a couple MMs. First stage between both seemed comparable in weight. The aeros second stage was maybe 1-1.5 pounds heavier. This made it habe a more distinct wall for the second stage. It was very easy to take up the first stage, prep your shot, and then break the trigger. Despite being heavier it was still very crisp. Less overtravel than the Centurion (which still doesn't have much). Both have very positive resets.

Here's where it gets ugly. I don't know the technical details of whats actually malfunctioning in the trigger but it's certainly a dangerous malfunction. Maybe someone can shed some light on it. Every once in a while you'll approach the second stage, think you've broken the shot, get a faint click, but the hammer won't fall. Trigger won't move rearward anymore, after a short delay (varies between 2 and 6 seconds), the hammer will then fall. You can even get it to this point, release the trigger, and wait for the hammer to release. Only began to manifest itself after ~ 150 live rounds and probably 4-500dry fires.

Pulled the trigger out and inspected everything and reinstalled. Nothing stands out.

Thanks for the update. I love when people use their stuff and then post back. Too many “Well this guy said it’s good on youtube” posts these days

I might have to grab one of these. I’ve never liked the MBT for the reasons Rhino mentioned.

Also, I’m assuming the trigger with the malf is the aero? I didn’t see where it was specified.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Thanks for the update. I love when people use their stuff and then post back. Too many “Well this guy said it’s good on youtube” posts these days

I might have to grab one of these. I’ve never liked the MBT for the reasons Rhino mentioned.

Also, I’m assuming the trigger with the malf is the aero? I didn’t see where it was specified.

Could just as easily be a botched install.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Max, do you have a trigger chassis or anything that would let you see what’s happening with the Aero trigger?
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

Correct, the issue is with the aero.
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Max, do you have a trigger chassis or anything that would let you see what’s happening with the Aero trigger?
    I do have a Larue TAC laying around, definitely give that a shot.

Its possible I could've messed up the install but I highly doubt it. I've installed quite a few AR triggers. This one functioned fine for a while and then started having issues. Completely removing and reinstalling did not fix the issue

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here's where my testing sits-

Aero trigger in LaRue TAC- nothing stands out, 50 pulls on trigger- issue not prevalent

This led me to believe the lower the trigger was in may be in question. Installed my proven centurion AST. 50 pulls yielded normal results. Trigger pull feels identical to my other lower it normally resides in.

New hammer and trigger springs, stock pins- Changed hammer and trigger springs for aero trigger with New parts from a CMMG spring kit- issue still prevalent intermittently over 50 pulls.

New springs and pins- issue not prevalent over 50 trigger pulls

Stock trigger spring, new hammer spring, new pins- no issue over 50 pulls

Stock springs, new pins- no issues over 50 pulls

Back to stock springs and pins- malfunction on first pull, 5 subsequent malfunctions in 50 pulls.

I should add, both the hammer and trigger spin freely on the stock pins so I don't believe it's a binding issue. Going to leave it for a while with new springs and pins and see how it does over time. Certainly don't have much confidence in it so it's going to get replaced either way. Especially since after another 300 hammer falls I definitely prefer the feel of the centurion AST.

I have a pretty clear video of the malfunctions but I'm not tech savvy enough to post it. If anyone is interested I can send them over via email.

Hope this was educational. Spend the extra 25 on the centurion for piece of mind, a better trigger, and to save yourself the hassle

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Appreciate your effort.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Could just as easily be a botched install.
    How does Max install a trigger and have it work, and then months later it ceases to operate properly, and have it be an install failure? I'm not sure what platforms you are an armorer on, how many schools you've been through, weapons lines you've run, but my experience does not jive with what you are saying.

It's possible that I've forgotten something, so I would sincerely like you to fill us in (no sarcasm in this post either).

Thanks, and as far as I'm concerned at this point, this is a hardware failure, not software.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpetros View Post

How does it compare to a G2S/SSA(if you have either of those)? Thanks

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sig1473 View Post
    How does it compare to a G2S/SSA(if you have either of those)? Thanks
    My opinion on these Centurion triggers has not changed since September when I posted this below. I'm sitting just shy of 3000 rounds through the two stage and it seems to have gotten even better over time. I prefer the Centurion over the G2S and I can't help but think the Centurion two stage is at least 95% as good as an SSA for less than half the money. I won't be pulling any Geissele triggers out of any of my lowers just to replace them with the Centurion, but going forward this is the trigger I'm gonna be buying for new rifles/lowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Because of this thread, I ordered one of each.

First on the AMT single stage. The only trigger I currently have to compare it to is the BCM PNT trigger. I would say these are very similar. The Centurion feels a tad smoother and lighter, but I probably wouldn't buy one just to replace a BCM PNT. They're very close. There's only like a $7 difference so the price is a wash. If I were picking one to purchase today, go Centurion.

Now for the AST two stage. Holy moly what a trigger for $98. I cannot see myself buying another SSA or SSA-E after using this one. As a longtime Geissele trigger leg humper, it almost pained me to say that out loud at home with no one listening. My wife, who has never cared about what trigger was in her rifle, it was a milspec trigger for years that I later swapped for a LaRue MBT2S, told me she wanted to replace her trigger with the AST. So out came the LaRue trigger and in went the Centurion. I'll pick up another for myself when they come back in stock. The MBT is packaged up and ready to go up for sale.

Sorry Mark and Bill. There's a new trigger Sheriff in town and his name is Monty.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast