Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling guns??? / Stoeger Coach???

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Traveling guns??? / Stoeger Coach???

I’m putting together a pair of ‘traveling guns’ - mostly for having with me in motel/hotel rooms (gave up camping years ago:), and accessible in my truck (no camper top, so they’ll be in the cab with me).
    I am VERY pleased with my handgun - a S&W model 22-4 .45 acp/45AR revolver. I shoot it well, can use full moon clips and speed loaders really well, and it will fly under 10 round legislation anywhere. And it doesn’t “look tactical” - kind of a retro, geezer gun :)

What I’m looking for now is a ‘long gun’, which I’ve narrowed down to a lever action or break action shotgun - o/u or s/s. The Stoeger Coach gun is a good possibility, IF it is reliable. I’ve heard mixed reports, with the con side being things like soft steel, malfunctioning single triggers (which is why I would prefer doubles), parts breakage, etc., etc.

Just looking for feedback from knowledgeable/experienced shooters, and additional suggestions. TIA

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've been told not to trust recoil set single triggers, especially for unconventional shooting positions that may occur with defensive use.

I'm not sure how much training double triggers would require for me to be comfortable using defensively.

This seems to exclude anything in the reasonable price range, so I've stopped thinking about it much.

There doesn't seem to be a 6920 or G19 equivalent double barrel.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Thutty/thutty lever gun, Winnie or Marlin.
    Ghost ring rear.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have both - a Stoeger Coach Gun and a Marlin 336.

I prefer the older Marlin Youth Model. It's got a Hill People butt cuff, ghost ring sight and a buffalo leather sling. I carry it in a Mossy Oak case, so it looks as Fudd as possible.

I used to drive from Texas to San Francisco on business, making stops along the way. That short handy rifle and a tuned 2" Model 64 wheelgun were my companions on the trip. If I had to walk away from either of them, I'd be a bit sad, but there would be no wailing and rending of garments.

The Stoeger required some mods to become reliable out of the box. I had to replace the firing pins with aftermarket hardened steel ones, stronger hammer springs, and polished the fitted parts so you could open the action without the Jaws of Life. It also has an aftermarket recoil pad and a nice big brass bead up front. A wise person could see the changes, but most could not. The "automatic on" safety is also a pain in the backside, and needed work. If you are good with stones, files and emery cloth, the work is all do-able for under a hundred bucks.

The advantage of the 18.5" coach gun is that with that action, it's actually as short as a 14" pump-action SBS. Mine patterns acceptably well with Federal 8-pellet Flite-Control. It tends to throw slugs a little high and right with the right barrel, but is dead-on with the left at 25 yards. I know that and compensate accordingly.

I will say that the advantage of the over/under is that it looks even more Fuddish. "I say, Muffy and I were just on our way home from my skeet club when I was accosted by this ruffian. The cad forced me to shoot him - most regrettable."

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    What will the cheap SxS do that a Tac14 won't do better other than being lighter?

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    What will the cheap SxS do that a Tac14 won't do better other than being lighter?
    Pros vs Cons?

- In an emergency, anyone I may give the SxS to can likely fire it if they take safety off. Less so with the Tac14.

- Most will likely hit better with the SxS than the mini-pump. A laser could help here?

- The Tac14 has a greater capacity than the Coach gun. This might be important under certain situations!

- The Stoeger looks like a Fudd gun. Not so the Remington (or Mossberg).

I’m sure a little more time & thought would add more to the list.

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    Good topic and good analysis Geezer John.
    I occasionally travel by truck, 4x a year or so, from my home of relative freedom to states of recent high looting/protest correlation. Those same blue states also don’t believe in CCW reciprocity nor make it easy for their own citizens. One of those cities I visit for work also shoots it citizens pretty regular for startling cops and uses the ole nine minute kneel on the neck. And make no mistake, I was under no illusions that “protests” couldn’t break out at any time when the weather is nice.

For the last few years, I switched to a .38 revolver as my hotel/E&E gun. Less threatening appearance, Lower risk load/unload cycle and I could do what I needed. My opinion is it also has some advantages on securing with a cable inside your vehicle, but that might be controversial opinion. I did not take long guns, mostly due to security concerns in hotels/parking ramps due to my activities. Overall Concur with your approach.

On long gun, the SxS sounds preferable to me for same reasons. Looks less threatening, Low profile entering into a lodging establishment, simple loading/unloading and has a role in the repel boarders distances. Likewise, a 30-30, .44 or .357 lever gun would be viable if more distance is desired, but at the cost of a hit bigger package and slightly more complicated unload process.

Likely mentioned before, but post the Vegas shooting barring firearms in hotels is real. Was in Reno last year and the same stringent posting and obvious surveillance was evident. Cleaning staff in rooms everyday and subtle inspection of your luggage. Expect we will see increasing issues with hotels and guns develop over time. I have always been careful on general OPSEC in multi day hotel stays for theft, but now exclude my Firearms News magazine or anything else that might indicate weapons. Also added a Scooby Doo sticker to my truck as bit of camouflage.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I had a double trigger Coach gun. It worked fine. I used it in cowboy matches, and sometimes clays, just to be silly. Made no modifications, had no parts breakages. Not sure why I sold it. I sometimes have the hankering for a longer double for birds.

But I kept my 94 and 336....
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    ... additional suggestions.

What about CZ's side-by-sides?

They cost a bit more, but they're still under $1,000, and they're supposed to be nice...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    44 mag or 45 colt lever gun with 16” barrel?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast